Thursday, April 17, 2014

Talk About Addictions

My younger son recently added a Netflix account at our house. I didn't even know how to turn it on for the first few weeks and rarely even thought about it. Both my boys and my husband watched it all the time.

One fateful night my son asked if I had ever watched Breaking Bad? I told him I had seen one or two episodes a while back when it was playing one weekend but didn't really understand it since I started in the middle of the series. He told me I could watch it on Netflix from the beginning. Of course he had to load the first episode for me since I'm a dummy but showed me how to just let it go from one episode to the next.

Now my life's a meth.

He got me started watching when I had fallen, busted my eye open and couldn't do anything but lay on the sofa.

By the time my eye healed enough to go back to work, I was totally addicted. I'd go to work, come home and do whatever had to be done then take my seat in front of the boob tube and get my fix on. I'd watch it til two or three in the morning then wake up and watch another episode if I didn't have to work the day shift. Oh I had it bad. I watched it every time I folded laundry. Once all the laundry was done I had to find another justification for being in the living room for hours on end. I cleaned the ceiling fan blades while watching, then cleaned all the baseboards. I cleaned all the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap and windexed all the glass and windows. My living room has never been cleaner. I guess I like a tidy theater. By the end of season one I had a huge crush on Aaron Paul, who plays Jesse Pinkman. "Yo!"

When I first heard about the series I wasn't crazy about the concept of watching a show about Meth but turned out to be about so much more.

I don't really watch that much television. I like Parenthood and Modern Family but usually record those and watch later. With this show I couldn't wait to see what would happen next and didn't.

My husband and sons made fun of me but I didn't care. Jesse needed me.

Every character on the show is great and the story simply grows with every episode.

Even when I'm not home watching I'm still hooked. I talk about it to customers at work and my co workers. I talk about it to my sister on the phone.

Today my oldest son and I drove into Atlanta to have lunch with my daughter. I talked about the show with TJ while we drove into town. We picked Massey up and went to eat. The first restaurant had two buses parked out front (not a good sign) and was packed like a sardine can. We decided to go somewhere else. As we were walking back to the car a cop directing parking lot traffic spoke to us when we said hello.  He spoke with an accent and after we passed him I looked at TJ with raised eye brows and said "Sounded like cartel to me." Massey just shook her head as if to say "My momma's an idiot."

She's not far off.

I absolutely loved the Game of Thrones book series and was all into it too. Some friends bought me season one for my birthday last year and have really enjoyed the show but it's just fantasy. Breaking Bad is really going on somewhere, trust me.

How can you not get sucked in? Here's just a sample of the different story lines. Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, underpaid teachers, crooked cops and good cops, crooked lawyers, people dealing (or not) with addiction, kleptomaniacs, marital affairs, providing for your family, illegals and even murderers. Dang, talk about a reality series!

Lucky for this addict I am on the last season and only have a few episodes left.

I don't get out much (obviously) and don't have a lot of money. I find pleasure in reading books, working in the yard during the summer,blogging and a good show when I find one on the boob tube.

I blame my addiction on my younger son. He's pretty smart about most things and when pronounced Breaking Bad the best show he's ever seen on TV, took his advice and tuned in.

I'm not sure how clean my living room is going to stay after I finish the series but at least the rest of my family had a pristine room to sit in while I'm at work these past few weeks.

Maybe that was their plan the entire time. Maybe, just maybe, THEIR the cartel!

Til next time, COTTON



No comments: