Monday, February 4, 2013

Yes My Life is Crazy

Good Lord I am WHOOPED! Got  home from work late Friday night and had to be at my new gig on  Saturday morning by  nine. It was twenty two degrees when I left my house and didn't  get  much warmer when I got there. The place I am also working for is a no frills discount store. No heat...just low prices. (and temps)

I wore my sock tights under my pants,  had a thick sweater on over my camisole and training bra. I had on the Misty Harbor long trench coat with wool lining my brother gave me for Christmas a few years back. I love it...it  hits around my ankles and is like a fancy "Snuggie." I had  my silk scarf I got  from a customer YEARS ago wrapped around my neck and remained in this outfit  the entire day... I was still cold. Granted weighing ninety nine pounds doesn't help but my  tootsies are normal size and even THEY never warmed up.

I started  this new job and felt immediately lost. I've been a server for well over thirty years.  Yes I am a salesman but have always sold food. Thank The Lord it was slow and the people who I  worked with were extremely tolerant and patient. I've learned more about furniture, bedding and furnishings in the past two days than I have  in my fifty three years of  having a furnished house.

We got to know each  other and clicked immediately. They love and have dogs...I love and have dogs. That's all I needed to hear. Now they are both BFFL's. They both know their job extremely well and were so helpful to me. Like the good student I am I took a notebook with me and filled up  page after page with info , descriptions and helpful hints.

I may be old but I know how to learn.

I worked there on Saturday and Sunday. I'm just in training, not selling til next  weekend but when a few peeps were in the store and both of them were busy a lone man walked in and the girl I was working with asked if I thought I could take care of him?

BAM!! I did it.

Older Asian man, could barely understand him but got  that he needed a stool. I directed him to the section with stools . There were about six of them but he  worried over those stools for at least ten minutes. He asked if I could come down on the price? For Pete's sake...it's a discount store, it's ALREADY discounted! I didn't say that but  somehow managed to point out they were solid wood and quite sturdy.

Guess what? Who sold a stool? "I" sold a stool!

So I'm on my way (kinda) and you know what? After three decades of  the same type of work it's nice to be doing something different.

Still have my old job but it's been nice to do something out of the box and totally new.

My sister came by yesterday to visit me at work and when  she called me later that night said "At least you are giving them something to laugh about."

Oh I am all about some comments and observations. You don't work as a server for over thirty years without some stories to be told.

I like the new peeps I work with and who have been incredibly helpful and nice.

I may just be on to something! Only time will tell.

Time WILL tell. But for now, I like it!

Til next  time...COTTON


No comments: