Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Am a Doofus

Had a great day. Massey and I  made the trek to the Sock Shoppe in Griffin to buy new work tights for me and return my inlaw's Christmas presents...bought the wrong sizes and just haven't had time to make the trip. Hers was a nice wool sweater and his a lined flannel shirt. Since spring starts soon I had to make the time so they could at least get a little use of  them THIS year.

We popped in and out in less than thirty minutes and stopped by  to get  a burger and slaw dog at Griffith's Drive In. If you're ever in  Griffin, Georgia, stop by for a tasty  delight! It's on highway 16  just a few blocks east of the Sock Shoppe.

Got home in time for a quick border patrol in  the back yard...which was once again breached by Houdini (our boxer, Ziggy) in  the time it took me to use the restroom, leaving him out back to do the same!

Massey and I got him back in our yard after a brief Laverne and Shirley skit around the neighbor's house.

I had twenty minutes left to get ready for work and barely made it on  time. Walked straight into another debacle.

A server ended up in  the slammer last night and couldn't make bail. I like them well enough but their story  seemed to have more holes in  it than a kitchen colander. They were supposed to work tonight but ended up destined to remain at the "Three Hots and a Cot" motel at least another day or two.

Sucks  for them...dollar  signs  for me!

As Murphy's Law would have it, we were busy  as crap. A skeleton crew on the floor, new guy in  the kitchen and large parties out the ying yang. I had a party  from the new cancer hospital recently opened across  the street and table after table after table. I greeted my next  table and was surprised to see one of my husband's high school  friends seated at my table accompanied by his wife, daughter and mother. It was his mom's birthday. If I had to guess, I'd say she was in her seventies. He announced it was his mom's birthday to which I replied with  a smile "Dang, the male stripper is off on Wednesday!"  I asked  the birthday girl if she wanted a cocktail or glass of wine? Her son immediately said "Go ahead mama, have a glass of wine."

I asked her what kind of wine she liked and after giving it a long thought looked up at me questioningly and said "Sherry?"  I've been a server  for well over  thirty years ad this was a first request. I remember years and years ago an older woman asked me if we carried Manischewitz? It was all coming back to me now.

The only people I have seen drink Sherry were Fraiser and Niles on re runs of Fraiser but knew what kind of glass they drank it out of....and we had those.

The daughter in law ordered a  glass of Merlot and said to bring the birthday girl one as well.

Wanting to treat my husband's friend's mom (already  confusing) to an ultimate birthday dinner I not only brought her a glass of Merlot to taste but grabbed one of the fancy port glasses off the bar and headed back  to the kitchen after Barb told me they indeed had sherry in  the kitchen for cooking. Len (Barb's husband) was cooking on the far end of the line and although he was balls to the wall, asked him if we had sherry? He half screamed  (in typical Len style) "Yeah, it's right THERE!" And pointed to a bottle by  his end of the line. I took the little fancy  glass and poured her a sample taste out of the bottle (there were at least six different bottles there but chose the one I thought he was pointing to) and returned to  the table thinking "This is what a good server does...go above and beyond!"

I returned to the table and said almost radiantly as I sat the port glass down in  front of her "Here you  go, Birthday Girl! See how you like THIS! "

She turned it up, took a sip. She took another sip. She looked straight ahead then thought about it for a second or two and turned to look me with a sweet solemn face and quite simply said "Tastes greasy."

I went back to the kitchen on Len's side of the line and told him "She said it tasted  greasy." He asked which  pan I got it out of and I pointed out which  bottle I got it from.

He said "You Knuckle Head...that's 100% cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. It costs more than the sherry sitting beside it!"

MY BAD!

I poured her a glass of REAL sherry and took it back to the table. She loved it! I didn't tell them about my goof  til  the end of dinner but when I did , thankfully they all laughed.

The server who was unfortunately incarcerated is a table hog and I told Len tonight, if they can't make bail for two more days...I'll be in the black! I suggested sending messages to the jail like "Hang in there buddy, we almost have the money raised!"

Yes I'm a doofus. But it is so nice to be able to laugh at life and have people laugh with you.

If this kid can sit in jail two more days (being in jail is rarely NOT your fault although it's possible) I'll  be singing like Maria on the side of a Swiss  Alp running up the hill singing "The hills are alive, with the sound of money."

Strike when you can...help when you can and always know Karma is right there waiting to bite your adversary in the booty.
 Til next  time...COTTON







No comments: