Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It Just Hit Me...She's Growing Up


Just got  home from a meeting at the high school about Massey's New York trip. I worked pretty stinking hard to come up with the payments and only one of my checks had to be run back through the bank. It's all paid for now and even more shocking to me is somehow the time is almost here to let my little girl, my best friend get on plane and head to New York City...without me.

 I am excited beyond belief for her but worried as crap for my own sanity while she is gone. I am a worrier anyway. Isn't that what a momma's supposed to do?

When her Chorus teacher said "We are traveling  to one of the world's busiest cities, so please understand  that certain policies are in order to ensure we are safe"...  I literally started to tear up. It didn't stop there.

How can I let her go without me? Should I have worked even more so I could go too or simply take a leap of faith and kiss her goodbye ?

It seems next Wednesday my heart will be getting on a plane for New York City...without me.

I feel much better knowing that even though 48 kids are going,  they have 18 chaperones...and know a few of them personally.

We came home to work on scholarship forms for college. Massey brought me her letters of recommendation from teachers and I  started crying again.

My girl is not only loved by us but by her teachers too.

One teacher wrote:
"The intention of this letter is  to recommend Miss Massey Cotton for your consideration in selecting her for your scholarship. Miss Cotton has proven herself to be one of the most extraordinary young ladies with whom I have had the pleasure of teaching. I was greatly impressed by her intelligence and work ethic. Miss Cotton's enthusiastic and congenial disposition towards classroom activities and discussion earns her respect from both peers and faculty alike." (My fave teacher )

Then I cried again and knew Karma was working.

Another teacher wrote in part : "While Massey is a a very smart young lady, one of her best attributes is her heart. I see a very bright and successful future for her."

The teacher who hit the nail on the head included  this in her letter...

"If  I had to choose one thing I will remember most about Massey it is dedication. No matter what endeavors she chooses to undertake in her life, Massey will succeed and will always push for more. Massey is dedicated, not only to her creativity and her academic success but has a strong moral code and sense of compassion for every individual she encounters and this makes her an amazing candidate for any higher educational opportunity. I can say without a doubt that if Massey is chosen as a recipient for your scholarship, it will in no way be under appreciated or wasted."


Sounds like I have a girl ready to conquer the world! I guess I'll start by letting her go to New York.

We barely have money to pay attention  but will somehow make it happen for this girl.

Yes she has  sometimes worn us out and been a brat...that's a kids job. Been there done that.

So I have one kid on the other side of the world and another wanting to flap her wings and fly away as well. I got one more strutting around the house but making me proud as well.

What the heck am I going to worry  about when they are all gone?

Til next  time...COTTON






No comments: