Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Good Day...

I did a catering job for work today and Zach helped me. I didn't have to work until five and the restaurant had three different caterings this morning so I did one of them. We picked up the food at  the restaurant at 11AM and delivered it to a doctor's office right off the town square. By 11:45 we were back at the restaurant dropping off the catering bags...talk about easy money!!

I talk a lot about Massey, mainly because I am with her most all the time. Boys tend to shy away from going places with their Momma after the age of eleven. Today was the exception to the rule and I was pleasantly surprised.

Zach's had a tough time finding his way and it worries me constantly. I can never seem to remember the "Catch more flies with honey than vinegar rule" when it comes to talking to him. I have a sharp wit and even sharper tongue...what makes it worse is that we are so much alike (except that he is borderline genius yet refusing to use his God given talent.) I know it is God given because he sure didn't get the smart part from me!

He's made some really bad decisions in the past and not too many good ones but I still love him. He  just recently started to realize that maybe in fact he DOESN'T know every thing and may need some help and guidance.

It started with baby steps. After he totaled my car it was hard to hand him a set of keys even if it was to drive three doors down to the neighbor's. He worked a part time job for a while but has mostly been "My bitch" around the house. As much as I work that has been okay with me. He takes Massey to school when Tim has to go in early and picks her up when I have to work a late day shift. He vacuums a room with the best of them and has fixed many things around the house for me. He has cleaned my kitchen and mopped my floors. He walks the dogs every day and bathes them every two weeks. He's replaced shower heads, cleaned my garage and just finished totally rebuilding a computer some kid gave him.

We spent the entire day together and didn't have one fight or argument.

I was horrible when I was Zach's age. I didn't get into the trouble he has gotten into but I certainly wasn't a blessing to my Diddy. I partied away at college like nobody was having to pay for it, bounced checks my Diddy had to cover and gave him gray hair WAY before his time...but He still loved ME.

That's why they call them KIDS!
Webster's defines "kid" perfectly "The young of a similar animal."

Zach and I are just alike, only seperated by thirty two years. Unfortunately a lot of things change in three decades and in this society not much of it is for the better.

He has a great lead on a job and is going by to talk with them again tomorrow. I actually have enjoyed having him around and getting to know him again. He seems to be coming into himself and maturing.

I have three kids,  all totally different from each other. Raised by the same two parents yet all choosing different paths.

Sounds like somebody's looking for a short cut!

Take it from a fifty one year old...I've been looking for one for over half a century!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: