Monday, January 2, 2012

I Knew Getting Old Would Suck...Nobody Told Me It Would Be a Vacuum!

So I snapped a picture of myself today and this is what developed.  Wow...what will I look like at 52?

I'm skinny and winter has reared it's ugly head today here in the deep south. I froze all day at work...I held a cup of hot water to warm my hands and spent all my free time in  the kitchen holding my arms under the heat lamps we have to keep food warm til the cooks put plates of food up blocking my access. I left around three for my break and could barely get the back door of the restaurant open,  the wind was blowing so hard. I skittered my way across the parking lot to my car. I had one hour between shifts and crawled under the covers fully dressed...flat on my back so I wouldn't muss my hair or makeup and my feet didn't get even semi warm for at least forty five minutes.

So here's my problem...I'm too skinny and I know it. One of my resolutions is to get back up to my fighting weight.  On the other hand, I wake up at LEAST four times a night sweating like a race horse coming into the home stretch.

To  add insult to injury I need to shave my face more than I do my legs these days. Tim says it's because I am so damn bossy my body  thinks I am a cranky old man. I told him to leave the comedy to me, thank you very much!

Massey gave me a free facial gift certificate for Christmas from a spa in the shopping center where I work. I asked her if she thought they would give me a free shave too and I think she threw up a little bit in her mouth (at least her expression looked like it.)

Getting old ain't easy...between trying to stay warm and cooling down from hot flashes I should have pneumonia. I tend not to shave my legs in the winter too much (which also totally grosses Massey out) but it helps my knee socks stay up. I have  my hair cut at least every six weeks or I go totally gray headed. When it's short it just looks like I paid for highlights.

I have Carpal Tunnel in one wrist and a bad hip on the other side. I currently have two painful corns on both of my pinkie toes and if anyone even grazes my shoe at work I react like a Clydesdale stepped on my foot.

I seem to be falling apart at my tiny seams but somehow keep on keeping on...I think it is a "Female" thing. I remember when my youngest son was born and for the life of me I couldn't get him to say "Momma." All he would say at one year old was "Daddy." My husband said to me  "You're so bossy he thinks he has two daddy's."

So number one my husband can be funny...number two, if I'm not bossy nothing gets done.

Age has never been a factor for me until recently. When a woman hits "HOT FLASH" stage the whole game changes. It may sound crazy and most probably is but when I wake from a deep sleep and stretch or yawn...I immediately have a hot flash. Is there a correlation? There must be, I have actually noticed it over the past few days.

So men just get soft around the middle but plow right along while women get bombarded with ailments and pounds of unwanted sweat at the most inopportune times.

I sit here at my computer having been home from work for over two hours and still have on my lined over coat, hat and scarf while my husband is snoring away upstairs in his tighty whitey's with  the comforter pulled up to his neck sawing logs.

I blame it all on Eve.

It's supposed to be even colder here tomorrow... Going to bed in tube socks and thermals only to peel them off night sweat by night sweat.

Vasectomies should be a LOT more painful...now THAT would make ME feel better!

Til next  time...Cold, then hot COTTON

No comments: