Thursday, January 12, 2012

Here Comes the Snow!!! (Not Really)

When you live in Georgia weather is a big deal...obviously we are lacking in the "Big deal department." If they forecast snow...even flurries, we all run to the store and buy up all the bread and milk. Forecast accumulating snow and the people who have money go  to Home Depot and fight over generators and Kerosene heaters. I just send one of my teens into the woods behind our house for free firewood.

We LIKE freaking out over some weather down here.
I worked tonight and we were balls to the wall busy... People going out for "The Last Supper" before the mighty flurries hit overnight. I had a party that made a reservation and asked for me. One of them said a friend of hers just moved here from Michigan and was laughing about how the entire city was in an uproar over the possibility of flurries. I told her to tell them "Wait til Tornado season hits."

The owners of the restaurant I work for are originally from Utica, New York. They have been here long enough to know "Weather is not a restaurant's friend, especially in the south."
Give us a warning that the temp is dropping below thirty and we all scurry to protect our  pipes. Tell us there may be frozen precipitation and we rape the store shelves. The problem is that we are not prepared in the least for Winter. Granted, I am a sissy too when it comes to cold weather. I like days that have a high of 95 degrees...as long as my A/C works. That's why I live here. I am skinny and already have hot "Splashes" twenty four/ seven. They can bring on an ice storm but I will still be sweating puddles.

A customer told me tonight that one city in Alaska had eighteen feet of snow dumped on them in a matter of days. Now "THAT" is Winter.

Down here we have school buses that are lucky to get our kids to and from school on a sunny day. Throw in the complication of the forces of nature and they cut their losses and call school off.

I have never worked a busier Thursday night. All the scaredy cat southerners came out to eat tonight, knowing they would be eating beans heated up over a can of Sterno tomorrow with that half inch of snow piled up at their front door barring them from leaving for two days.

Yeah, we're sissies down here and when a BIG weather event happens we are totally unprepared.

I was born and raised here...and it hasn't changed in fifty one years. Give us a day of extreme  heat and we seem prepared for it. (Unless you are homeless or have no A/C) I will admit that at least then the city kicks their lazy butts into action handing out free fans and open cooling stations.)

Talk about snow and everybody freaks! As a woman who sweats away two pounds three times  a night...I'm starting to LIKE Winter! I can always gain the weight back in Spring during Tornado season when I'm eating chips and dip in the laundry room on the first floor at the center most part of the bottom level of my house with the kids and dogs all stuffed in there with me.

Til next time (I did go buy dog food and toilet paper)....COTTON

No comments: