Monday, August 30, 2010

What is This World Coming To?

I was at work tonight...thirty minutes before we closed the phone rang and I answered it. A woman on the other end paused and then asked if we were hiring.

What kind of person decides at nine o'clock at night to CALL about a job?

I told her we were always accepting applications. She paused again and finally said "Well, can I talk to her?" I asked "Talk to who?" I wasn't going to help with her very lame attempt at getting a job.

She said "You know, the owner." I told her the owner wasn't in at the moment. She asked if I could maybe have the owner call her tomorrow about a job. I said that sure I could do that. She said "Okay, thank you" and then hung up.

What part is missing here...or are there just so many that it is obvious?

She left no name...didn't KNOW the owner's name...left no phone number. I guess during the commercial break in her show she was watching on TV she thought she would fill the two minute break with a job hunt.
Do people actually think that someone is going to say "SURE we're hiring! So glad you called. Can you be here in ten minutes? We have a training class starting at ten tonight."

We laughed about that one for the rest of the night!

When I got home from work, Zach had a pile of paper work the school had given him on August 9th to bring home, have filled out and returned the next day. For Pete's sake tomorrow is August 31. He said he wasn't allowed back unless he brought the papers in all filled out and signed.

I felt like saying "No @#*& Sherlock."

I filled out the mountain of forms and corrected all his mis spellings and wrong cell phone numbers. Tim came through the kitchen to leave for work when I was on the 'dress code' sheet I had to sign. It had all the obvious "no no's. " No camouflage, no trench coats, no baggy pants. All things that would have never been included when I was in high school.

Then the last two blew me away. "No pajama tops or bottoms allowed." "No bedroom slippers allowed."

OMG...would kids go to school in their PAJAMAS? The bedroom slippers part made me laugh until Tim reminded me that Zach wore his to school last year one day. Tim crawled all over him when he saw Zach slumping off the bus in his bedroom slippers. Zach had gotten them for Christmas and defended his actions with " 'They're brand new and REALLY comfortable."

The teens of today would have NEVER made it in the seventies. They would be lost sheep wandering aimlessly, searching for a cell phone or ipod ... wondering how to use a phone booth and trying to figure out how to text with a rotary dial phone.

I guess all this modern technology is for the best and benefits us all. It just seems to me it has taken the "Thinking part" out of life and replaced it with shortcuts and acronyms.

I'd like to see a teen try and empty an metal ice tray or cook popcorn on a stove top. When I was a teen you had one transistor radio you carried with you listening to the AM radio station...and that was the extent of your personal music.

Maybe I need to get Zach some bedroom slippers with a texting device built into the soles so he can text with his toes as he slumps from class to class while trying to keep his pants up. I am worried he may be over worked and stressed out having to wear pants that fit AND hard bottomed shoes. Those horrible dictators at the high school are just TRYING to smother our kids with all these rules and regulations...I hope they can survive. NO...Wait a minute, I meant I hope "I" survive!

Til next time "The mom of two oppressed teens" COTTON

No comments: