Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Comedy of Errors...

I went into work this morning at 10:30...had a two hour break and went right back to "Bidness."

Lunch went smooth, it was just me and two other solid servers.

Came back at 5:30 and the wildfire started. I thought LAST night was busy...tonight was CRAZY busy. The fire spread quickly...they seated me with a six top and as I was greeting them they seated me with a four top. I went to great the four top and they seated me again...all in a five minute time span. I started to feel panicky when I saw them leading five people to another one of my tables. Somehow (with the help of others) I had it under control (Somewhat under control.)

Luckily I had tables that ordered appetizers and bottles of wine, which buys you a little more time.

Not so for another server.

Bless her heart, she is a newer server than me and if I had to sum her up in two words they would be "Train wreck." She is a really sweet woman who appears (or seems) like she has had a tough life. I know I don't look like a Spring chicken, but honestly she reminds me of our Bulldog, Charlie. She makes the biggest mess I have ever seen just making herself a cup of coffee. She slops the coffee into her cup, spilling it everywhere and THEN comes the sugar she adds. Granules surround the cup, soaking up the coffee she has already spilled. I cringe when she goes to add the creamer. Then she lays the spoon down (instead of taking it to the dish area) and picks up her cup to reveal the circle stain of her cup. All this mess just for a cup of coffee.


She gets busy and confused...I'll have to give her a point in her favor. I have been a server for almost 33 years and even I had a hard time when I first started. She, on the other hand has a hard time every shift.

I was at a computer tonight ringing in an order when she came flying around the corner from the service bar where we pick up our drinks for customers. She almost literally shoved me out of the way and flat out "RAN" into the kitchen, screeching around the corner so fast I heard "Bongo" sound effects like they used to use when Fred or Barney were scrambling to get away fast on the Flintstones.

I told the server next to me "That looked professional, didn't it?'

She went into the kitchen and accidentally knocked the printer that sends orders to the kitchen onto the floor along with the container of steak knives and pasta spoons making the owner have to leave the line and come around to our side to reassemble the printer and get the orders once again ringing through to the chefs. If my bulldog was a human and happened to be a server...this would be "His" story.

Later on I told the head server about this and we were cracking up...mainly because she happened to be standing in the alley when our "Bulldog" came screeching around the corner and got shoved out of the way as well.

Hopefully "Charlie" will catch on and learn to slow down. I mean "Really"...if you run, does it make THAT much of a difference once you've goofed up? At least wait until you are out of the guest's line of sight before you take off flat out running.

Then came MY big goof!

It was a tense night...we had a packed house. My last table had two ladies that wanted "Chicken Fiorentina " but with Parmesan encrusted chicken. I rang the order in just that way...only to hear my named being bellowed from the bowels of the kitchen.

It was the owner's son... bellowing at me that it was impossible to do that. "You either have the chicken encrusted or cooked in the Fiorentina...there's NO way to do both!" I went back to explain it to the ladies and they both demurred to the chef's discretion. I went back to the kitchen and told "Chef Cranky Pants" they would take it the regular way.

Not ten minutes later I heard the owner's son (Mr. Cranky Pants) calling me ..."Hey, Mission Impossible" , your food's up." He had cooked the Fiorentina chicken and somehow added some Parmesan crusting to the top of the dish.

This is a great restaurant that I have been lucky enough to land in. THEY do the impossible...they are in the back in 100 degree heat and pump out ANYTHING a guest wants.

The thermostat (on OUR side of the kitchen ) read 91 degrees. They are on the other side of the kitchen with twelve flaming grills, pizza ovens set at 450 degrees, boilers cooking pasta and six guys cooking their hearts out .

The women were delighted... I made more money tonight than I have ever made and I feel like "Kella Got Her Groove Back."

I told the cooks as I walked by later with a load of dishes going to the dish area "Good job tonight, kitchen." I got a "Thank You"..actually come to think of it , it sounded more like &%#@ you...but when I looked back at them in their now 110 degree station...they were smiling. It's an incredibly hard job being a chef...but these guys do an outstanding job and I have never felt more at home and at ease...even when I am getting my butt kicked...be it by customers or the chefs.

We have a long way to go here at the "Cotton Plantation." But I have been blessed with a wonderful new job and blessed by friends, family and anonymous help.

Received a letter the other day that simply read "You have blessed my family and it is now time to pay it forward." There were ten twenty dollar bills included. Received a card in the mail today that read..."A little something to go to catching up on your mortgage. Not much, but what I could spare. Wish I could send more. Wishing you many blessings for the future." "To Kelly" The richest woman in town! "Mr. Potter won't win."

It was signed "To the Cotton's from a friend"

I am totally and simply the most blessed woman on Earth ...I know that God, family, friends and anonymous people have been our saving salvation and I will be eternally grateful and promise whole heartily to pay it forward.

I am looking "Forward" to the day that I can sit back, relax and help someone else. Until that day comes... I hope that everyone who has helped us out knows that by the grace of God and the grace of friends and family us "Cottons" are unbelievably and respectfully awed by the love and support.

It is "Karma." It is Love... It is "Family"... It is "Life" in the greatest fashion.

Although times are tough and seem dark at times..I have been lifted and lifted again and again.

Just don't make me clean up after "Charlie"

What a GREAT feeling to be "Loved."

Tired, feeling old but will wake up feeling like a female "Richard Simmons" minus the Dolphin running shorts...an EXTREMELY GRATEFUL COTTON.

Thank You ALL for loving me...It has been all your love that has not only let us survive but made me realize what friendship, family and support is all about.

"Paying it forward soon"

COTTON

No comments: