Thursday, August 26, 2010

Taking a Mental Health Day Sure Feels Good.

I got up at 8:30 and took Zach to school. Came back home and decided since it was my day off I would go back to sleep for a hour.


When I woke up at 11:00 I was more tired than when I had decided to sleep one more hour. Tim wasn't home from work yet and the dogs promised not to tell on me if I didn't kick them off the bed so we all hung out in bed together. May as well wait on the noon news to come on and see what the weather was going to do. It's so easy to justify being lazy when there are only dogs to explain it to.

Fixed me a big glass of chocolate milk and settled back in.


Tim came home from work and took one look in the bedroom at us and went into Zach's room to sleep.


Noon came and went and the longer I was in bed the longer I wanted to stay in bed. I think the dogs were actually encouraging me not to get up and being the dog lover I am, I listened to them.


When 2:00 rolled around I thought I might feel like getting up but told the dogs I'd give it til 2:30 to see if the urge passed. Around 2:30 I decided it was time to re start my day. Made a chicken sandwich and started some laundry. After that I was exhausted so I decided to take it easy until I had to go pick up Massey at 3:30. No need to push myself unnecessarily.

I can go days, sometimes weeks with 5 hours sleep a night. Then one day it just hits me like a ton of bricks and I have to take a mental health day. Today was one of those days.

After picking Massey up I decided to kick it into gear and go cut the neighbor's yard. When I pulled Johnny out of the garage his decking was scraping the ground on one side and I got that "UH OH" feeling again. I hopped off to find one of the bolts holding the decking to the frame had come out. I looked for it but I cut so much grass I really didn't know which yard to start looking in.


I rode up to the John Deere store and of course they had to order the bolt and the cotter pin. By the time I got back home it was almost time to take Massey to practice so with cutting grass scratched off my list I turned to the vacuum cleaner when I got home from the school.


Bingo...belt broke on the vacuum.

I decided at this point that it was Divine intervention on God's part and I was meant to do absolutely nothing all day...and who am I to argue with the "Big Guy?"



I did paint my finger nails...they look real pretty now.


By this point it was 5:30 and I decided to watch the news again to see if they had caught that bad guy they were looking for on the noon broadcast. "YEP, they got 'em." That was a relief so I decided to celebrate with a raspberry fruit bar and give my nails a second coat.


After the evening news at 7:00 with Diane Sawyer I finally began to feel somewhat re -energized and decided to cook dinner...a "REAL" dinner for my family. We had baked Tilapia, fresh white corn on the cob, fresh broccoli and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

It was ready and on the table when Zach got home from picking up Massey from practice and Tim had just woke up for work.

The kids were gone all day and Tim sleeps all day anyway so my mental health day was my own little secret. They both got taken to and picked up from school and had a hot meal waiting at the end of their day.

After dinner I took Massey to WalMart to get a few things for her first ball game tomorrow night. I have to work a double and can't go, probably won't even have time to come home between shifts so I wanted to make sure she had every thing she needed. We didn't get home til almost 11:00.

I just ironed a work shirt for tomorrow and now I think I'll reward myself with a glass of iced tea with fresh lime and some chips and dip.

Tim's gone to work, the kids are in bed and it's back to just me and the pups.

Although I got nothing done, it has been one of the most rewarding days I have had in weeks.

You know what's really crazy is that I could crawl right back into the bed right now and probably fall asleep in a few minutes.


I had so many things planned but my motto today was "Why do anything today when you can just cram it all into tomorrow?"



Til next time...a relaxed and refreshed COTTON

No comments: