Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireworks !!

Just walked in the door from work and SHOULD be making my macaroni and cheese, potato salad and guacamole for my son's birthday party tomorrow, but here I sit and blog!



Sometimes I think blogging makes me more relaxed than anything and I need it tonight.



It was busy as all get out at work. I knew it would be. Even thought the 4th is a much slower night for us, our restaurant sits on a hill that is perfect for viewing the city fireworks and you don't have to sit in an hour long traffic jam to get home. We have a great dinner crowd, lots of regulars and everyone eats early so they can be on our lawn in time to catch the big show.



We have people that don't even eat with us setting up lawn chairs and claiming a spot. The front porch is covered with families and couples and even the single person out to enjoy the moment.



I had one of my regulars come in tonight...husband , wife and two precious little girls. One of the little girls is a "Chatter" let me tell you. If you talk to her for three minutes you know everything that has happened in her small life in the past week...in detail.



Her younger sister is a complete opposite. She is as serious as a stroke. Very dramatic and precise with every word that comes out of that sweet little, continuously contemplating expression on her face.



Her parents I can have drinks ready for (with limes and lemons) appetizers ordered and the cherries for the girls ready to go before they sit down.



They spend a lot of money in our store...they are excellent tippers (Tippin Christians) as they call themselves...sometimes I think people come in after church and think "Dang...in this economy, tithing is KILLING me." And guess who suffers? That would be me.



Our loyal guests are the people that keep us in business and me with a job. They expect good service (as they most certainly should) and we have dropped the ball a few times. Servers that are new, or one or two that just seem to be stupid have waited on them when I wasn't there. It's happened with other regulars of mine.



Not to brag (well maybe just a little, it was a rough night) my regulars ask for me because I know before they sit down what they most probably want to drink, how they will order and what extra sauces or condiments they may need. A few of the dumber servers consider that type of table a pain, when it is really the servers fault for not listening correctly or ordering their food correctly. THAT is a servers job and I feel pretty good about the way I carry out my job. Granted I am just a 'waitress'..but I think I am a pretty good stinkin waitress. Obviously all my regulars think so or else they all feel sorry for a fifty year old woman still waiting tables after 31 years.



Either way , I am glad I have people that come in and want for me to wait on them. I truly get a buzz when I make their meal go smoothly and make them glad they chose us to eat with that day...it's a boost to me mentally AND financially. A win win situation.



I scratch their back and they pay for the heating pad I have recently bought for mine.



I saw the mom and daughters in the restroom before they got seated and was joking around with the mom .



I came out and they were being seated at my table. JACKPOT. Always easy for me to wait on, I know theirs likes and dislikes, I could order FOR them some nights and always enjoy seeing this world of four that these 2 girls are lucky enough to grow up in. They are joined often by family and friends, but these four know they are a loving and stable microcosm.



The husband commented on how glad they were to have me be their server and asked immediately how much weight I had lost. I kinda felt embarrassed...I sure as heck haven't being doing "Nutri System" ... actually I feel more like I am being pulled along in life by "Mighty Putty."



They asked if I was sick and I didn't want them rushing to give blood so I told them of our current circumstances and said ...as I truly feel, that it will get better and that we will be okay.



They left as the fireworks started, forgetting a to go box that I took to the door. As the older "Chatty" daughter told me, if you go out the door straight and turn like this...our chairs are right there."



I stuck their bill in my pocket and didn't even look at it for over an hour because I knew they always tipped me good ... it was a given.



When I opened the check presenter, there was a note stuck to a $100.00 personal check that read "Kelly, we'll continue to keep you and your family in our prayers! God is Large and in Charge and he will take care of you."



I was humbled.



They even left me a $10.00 tip on their credit card.



A few years ago when we had another set back, this family helped me out as well. My restaurant knew my husband had been laid off and chose my family to help out at Christmas. These regulars contributed and selflessly made our Christmas one of the best.



I know that this time when things work out okay I will pay these people back. What goes around comes around...and surely I am reaching the 360 mark.



I will pay back my siblings that have helped us out so tremendously, I will pay back my regulars that have helped over and beyond the call (at least my siblings are blood relations and I can play the "I'm the youngest" card.)



This man is a realtor in Fayette County. If you want a house sold...call him, my sister did and sold her house that had been on the market for over two years in a matter of weeks.



The point is, what goes around...comes around.



It came around to me tonight in Fireworks. My son has his birthday party tomorrow (the big 17) and I felt guilty for taking the day off.



Now I can enjoy the day, not feel the crunch of losing a shift at work and know that maybe it WILL be okay.

Thanks to family and friends...it truly will be okay.

I promise to each and every person that has prayed for us, helped us and encouraged us that I WILL pay you back AND pay it forward as well.

I am humbled and thankful. I am a very lucky person.

The fireworks went off at work, but the explosion I feel in my soul is the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my life.

1 comment:

Lynsey said...

Good for you Kelly!!! You deserve situations as this in your life. There is a reason you have regulars, you know what they like, drink, eat, and dip the fries in. I have the same regulars at the bar...they can be a lot of work, but I am reminded why I know all of this all the time...Once, I was tipped $1000, don't tell!! You are so good at what you do! Thank god for our job... It really does pay off sometimes!