Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day Three

Massey called me today when I was visiting Frances. She said she is having a blast but the food sucks. She said there was mold on her pineapple (Right!). I told her to eat up! The penicillin will be good for her. I am sure the food is fine...not four star, but it will keep her alive.

Frances seems stronger every day. It seems I have created a monster of a running joke. My sister said when she went to visit earlier today she had taken Frances some jello cups with fruit in them. She went to stack them in the window sill and Frances exclaimed "Don't put them there, somebody'll TAKE them." Frances' niece said emphatically "No one is going to take your FOOD!!" I told my sister she could have put them in the lock box. When I went to leave, Frances' niece asked if I would take my sister back the vase that she had brought flowers in from her garden . Frances' niece said we didn't want it to disappear. Frances' room mate is an elderly woman who I have never even heard speak. Her two daughters...about my age are there with their mother every day. One of the daughters who was sitting in the chair on their side of the room wittily added "I already had my EYE on that vase!" It seems I've created a paranoia monster that is like a runaway train. Even though we are all joking, we now tend to be on alert!

Frances is one sharp cookie. Getting to know her and her out of town relatives has been a pure joy. Frances always has something funny to say and we all laugh the entire length of each and every visit. Now that we all have our eyes and ears open...we seem to be mentally "daring " someone to try and take any of Frances' belongings. I hope none of the staff overhears our jokes, or they may say "You know what Mrs. Cotton, Frances will probably be just fine at your house with all the locks and deadbolts I am sure you have there...let's wheel her on out to your car."

We readjusted the lock box to a position on the bed frame that is easier for Frances to access from her wheelchair. All kidding aside, it really was a good idea to get . It gives us all more peace of mind and something to joke about every five minutes.

The walls on her side of the room are covered in cards from friends and family and she seems to get her fair share of visitors.The wound nurse said today that she was healing really well and THAT was good news to everyone, especially Frances.

Hopefully she will be released before I manage to get her kicked out! The lady at the front desk who I have pressuring about the wifi problems doesn't even bother to say hello anymore and tries her best to look incredibly busy every time I walk through the front lobby to access the internet. At least when I am there she seems to be really earning her pay... as much as I am there, I may end up being the reason she gets a raise!

If she does get a raise and happens to send me a thank you note, I'll put it in the lock box for safe keeping.

I keep worrying that they will change the security code I use to enter the always locked facility and the next I pull in the driveway... will have Frances already wheeled out to the curb still in her bed with the lock box dragging alongside on it's bicycle chain. They'll say "Don't even cut the engine off, just tell us the combination to the chain lock and we'll put the box AND the patient in the back seat for you.

No comments: