Monday, July 13, 2009

All Better Now

Took Zach to the doctor this morning. My low cost clinic had a $100.00 co pay. $50.00 for each additional procedure. So much for low cost. Heck I could have taken him to the emergency room over the weekend for that much!

I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth when the nurse told me it was a $100 just to get to see the doctor. I was too embarrassed to leave so I paid the co pay and waited . I was just hoping the doctor didn't come in and announce there was a brand new procedure for cleansing poison oak and another procedure that he could do as well to help with my son's acne.

He prescribed a shot of cortisone and a two week supply of steroids. It sounds ridiculous but I was already wondering if the shot was considered "another procedure" and if he would count writing a prescription yet another one.

Nurse "Ratchett' came in with a filled syringe and told Zach she needed a cheek. My sweet boy looked earnestly at her and tilted his chin up and turned his face to one side. She replied that she needed the other cheek so he turned his face the other way.

She told him she meant the OTHER cheek, and running out of options quickly, Zach said "My butt?" She nodded and he asked which one...she said it was his pick.

I guess I should have waited in the waiting room, but for $100 plus bucks I thought I may as well come along and Zach didn't seem to mind. I was giggling so hard by then that I had already turned away and spared him anymore discomfort.

The nurse said the prescription had already been called in and when we followed her out of the exam room I kept thinking she would say "That will be $50.00 for the shot."

Lucky for me the shot came with the initial co pay. But a two minute exam and a shot in the butt for a $100.00... Dang, what are they charging for cancer these days?

But about an hour later he was feeling so much better that he remarked he didn't realize how miserable he was til he started to feel better.

The steroid cost $52.00 even with my $9.00 "Publix feels sorry for people without insurance discount." At least they gave me one though and I was grateful.

I told my husband when I got home that I was going to the DFACS office tomorrow and signing up both my minor children for Peachcare. I have been working and paying taxes since I was fifteen years old. My husband is out of work and we are out of insurance. I will stand in line with the masses and jump through the hoops, but then I can take my kids to their regular physicians and their regular dentist. I can get Zach back on his ADD meds, and take them both for a physical. It has been a while since they have had one and if anyone deserves to use this system ...it is my family.

I don't plan on staying on it or abusing it, but it is in place for exactly these type of situations. It will be humbling to say the least, but I can do it easily for my children. They don't even have to know what I've done. It's not like they pay attention when I am paying the bill.

If poison oak costs $152.00 to get rid of...then we are ALL in trouble. But my kid is well and I can pick up one extra shift and have it covered. What I need to do is worry about covering them for the next time, til we get back on our feet.

Zach has thanked me about five times today since we got home and comes to show me every couple of hours how much better it looks and how much better it feels.

Guess I can take that powder Tide back and get a refund...six more bucks is better than nothing back in my pocket.

But my kid feels better and even if I had to pay too much, I did the right thing.

No comments: