Monday, July 6, 2009

Coming Home

My daughter is coming home from her vacation with her best friend and her parents in Myrtle Beach. (Just got the text)
This year was different from when she went last year. Last year we weren't on a Verizon plan that had unlimited texting. When you have two teens with cell phones in 2009...unlimited texting is a MUST! I was totally against it until I learned that my company has an employee discount with the cell carrier for 18%.

SIGN ME UP!

The bill actually dropped and everyone was happy (TTL)...that's text talk for 'Thank The Lord.'

It is really different without a teenage girl in the house for a week. Where did the drama suddenly go in our house? I thought we were at risk for an intervention between the thirteen year old daughter and the now seventeen year old son. I felt sure Dr. Phil was on his way over with a film crew and ALL of our problems would be solved.

NOT!! Half of them just went on vacation.

I have to admit that it was nice to get closer to my younger son. He was lucky and it was his birthday ...I tried to lay off of the sarcastic comments. I didn't do too well. When we talked about a cake, I asked him if he wanted me to get writing on the cake. He asked what I would write and I suggested "enjoy the tenth grade...again."

He opted for no writing on the cake.

Besides that we had a reasonably good time together. Teen boys take a lot less driving around ...not that we have let him get his license. I have told him that with the grades he brings home, he is lucky to have a bed, much less a permit to drive MY car.

I can tell he is re thinking the whole "SCHOOL" thing.

I am being smart (I think) and letting him think about his own possibilities or pitfalls... Take your pick...It is "YOUR" life.

"Let him stew about it" is my current motto. Hounding kids just pushes them further onto that ridiculous ledge of teen stupidity.

He has done a LOT of work for me since his sister has been gone. I don't know if it was her being gone or the "Writing on the cake" suggestion...but he has helped me out time and time again and been open to almost MOST of my comments or observations.

When he spent ten hours in the front yard pruning a tree and clearing out all the weeds in my island, I felt compelled to throw him a few bucks...after giving him the cortisone for the rash he got cleaning out what was obviously poison ivy. I have to give it to him, it was over 90 degrees outside.

Now the Princess is coming home!

She is a mess waiting to happen. The water bottles will be found all over the house again...half full. The tweezers will be missing. My nail polish remover will be lost again (I DIDN'T USE IT! she will say) It will be a whirlwind of taking her to and from practice for her color guard and picking her up at friend's house or taking her to a friend's house for a cook out.

With kids it is a crap shoot. They are either happy or bored, they are willing to lay around the house all day or have you running to and fro .

I LOVE IT !!

It may sound ironic...but they keep me feeling young, or as young as I can feel with fifty staring me down every day.

Glad my girl is coming home ; Glad I had a week with Zach alone.

She is coming home and I feel like Zach has finally opened his eyes.

Let's hope his stay open and hers learn how to blink.

No comments: