Thursday, April 9, 2009

Speaking of Reese

Tonight was the last night for us babysitting the most marvelous kid I have ever had drift into our lives.

We started watching her at the age of nine months...a cooing baby not even crawling yet.

Over the time we have watched her; She has grown into the most amazing thing to happen in this house in a long, long time.

She has taken over our heart's and wedged herself into our soul's for a lifetime.

I am not sure who has grown up more, her or her mother. When faced with a newborn as a single mom, her mother struggled...valiantly. She has become the mother that I wish I had been to my kids when they were little ones. She has raised a kid that is not only beautiful, smart and fascinating...but a sheer joy to be around.

Everyone in my house and in my neighborhood knows our "Reese" and finds her an absolute delight. (As they should)

She is moving back to Texas with her mom to be with her grandparents(selfish G ma and G pa) !!

I had a diary written for Reese on my old computer, but lost it all when I had the big CRASH.

The essence of it is the same.

A toddler has never, EVER made such a profound impact on our family. The way her face lights up when she comes into our house is only half of the light we feel when SHE walks through our door.

My two big ole dogs love her...used to sleep right by her crib when she was tiny, and still treat her with kid gloves (paws) when she is around.

I have never been to Texas, but I guess that it will be on my list now.

Her mother is a wonderful and beautiful person that has sewn herself into my heart. These two women will be a part of me forever and an addition to my life that was needed. To see through the eyes of a young (no pun intended) child again is a wonderful thing. The things that are special and important to them are eye opening and quickly bring you back not only to the basics but to the zest for life and the fueling of hunger for knowledge and the quest for answers.

I started watching this toddler with great hesitation...and I have to let her leave me with enormous grief in my heart. To not see this child grow up on a daily or weekly basis is going to be as hard as letting one of my own children go.

I have complete and total faith in her mom, or I would have already snatched her away.

I have to let her go.

I feel lucky to have had her in my life for these past few years, lucky to be able to peer into that gorgeous and sincere face and know that I was blessed that SHE loved ME.

I hope that she remembers us...I hope that she remembers our love. I hope for her everything she ever wants or desires.

I hope that I see her again...and that her face will light up like it does when see sees us now. I guess that part will be up to me...but for this little girl, I CAN DO IT!

I love you , AVA REESE YOUNG

No comments: