Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I NOT TALKING CHINESE TO YOU !!

My sister was a flight attendant for thirty years. She flew with an Asian girl once who spoke English but my sister had a really hard time understanding her. After asking her to repeat what she had said three or four times, the flight attendant responded adamantly...."I not talking Chinese to you"!!

That is the way I felt at work tonight.

We started a completely new computer system. Last time we did this they had a class for all of us to take to learn all of the functions and intricacies of the system. I guess the higher ups at corporate all have on tee shirts that read "It's the economy STUPID". They threw us into this system to learn everything on our own...NOT A GOOD IDEA! Once the dinner rush starts, customers do not care that we are constantly hunting and pecking on a site that we barely know and are trying our best to avoid mistakes that will slow down the cooks (half of which are Latinos who only know the old system). It was like the system was "TALKING CHINESE TO ME".

Modify an item, sub salad, more options for steaks, create combo, split guest count, send and stay, more modifiers, cancel, edit, actually the system COULD have been 'talking Chinese' to me and I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

I am an OLD dog and teaching me new tricks is hazardous at best!

Not to mention that I went in at 10:30 this morning, floundered my way through a lunch shift...went to the bank, screamed by blockbuster for the game my son HAD to have and flew back to work to pick up an extra shift...once again hunting and pecking on a system that was 'talking Chinese' to me.

A few years ago when we switched systems, the regional manager came to our store with ten dummy computers and led us through the new system. There was a 9:00 class and a 10:00 class..I sat through them both.

In today's times..you get it own your own..sink or swim!

I THINK I swam...not too sure yet, I will wait to see how many complaints I get from the masses that had to wait on their check or wait on their salads because I didn't know how to type in TWO different salad dressings. I know that sounds stupid, but when thrown into a dinner rush with a system that is totally new and uncharted...I CAN'T TAKE THAT KIND OF PRESSURE!

I went home a weak and worn out puppy. I felt relieved to only be expected to run a washer and dryer and unload a dishwasher.

Maybe tomorrow will be better...maybe it will be worse.

For the love of Pete..I am still trying to figure out Facebook and Twitter. I still don't even know how to find the "EGGS" that people seem to be hiding on my FB page everyday..not to mention pillow fights, sending kisses and "What kind of cocktail are you"? I feel like when I go into work tomorrow and clock in the screen will say "you have 47 unread instructions".

Granted I am an OLE lady, but even the younger kids at work seem to be struggling. I know that I will eventually "GET" it in due time, but with the pressure of three kids and their constant wants and needs (they are worse than bill collectors) I feel under the gun to get it right the first time.

I feel like writing Bill Gates and Steve Jobs telling them what kind of tortured life they have led me into and did they ever think about us ole farts when they came up with all of this #@*$ !!!

"I am woman, hear me roar! In numbers too big to ignore"!

What ever happened to writing down some one's order and handing it back to the cook?

Hopefully I will make the transition, hopefully I will catch on, hopefully next time you read this blog I will still have a job!

Swipe your card, punch in your number, modify and send!

The computer still seems to be "Talking Chinese to Me".

Wish me luck...modify, send and post!

No comments: