Thursday, March 12, 2009

"THAT'S"... Nice !!

That was the favorite saying of one of my dearest friends that I worked with over ten years ago.

A yankee through and through (she grew up with Amy Fisher...Big Joey Butafucco's ex) on Long Island.

We struck an immediate bond...we were both smart ass and full of ourselves.

We virtually RAN the restaurant that we both worked for...everyone else was in awe of us and cowered to our every request or demand. Of course we were the only two with any kind of experience or know how when it came to serving the public.

I was old enough to be her mother, but young spirited enough to be her best friend.

She took care of my youngest two kids so often that I worried they would begin to call "Her" Mom.

They both still remember her because at the time her sister was battling cancer and they had never seen a bald headed woman before (they both still talk about it).

She always longed to be a mother.

When she became pregnant (OOPS) out of wedlock..she was tickled to death.

She didn't mind her circumstances..she embraced her good fortune of being blessed with a child.

She moved back to New York with her parents...grandkid in tow, and I missed her terribly, but was so glad she had accepting and loving parents to help her on her way into the marvelous and trying experience of raising a child on your own.

We kept in touch, although sporadically, but the bond has held throught the years...THAT is why it is called a friendship.

Webster decribes a friend as " A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause: a comrade."

That is exactly what we are..."One who supports, sympathizes with...To befriend".

We are hundreds and hundreds of miles apart...talk rarely on the phone...but when we do the years disappear, it all comes back in a simple "Hello..It's me".

She has gone on to marry, have more children and achieved the dream she always wanted.

It hasn't been easy...nothing worth having ever is.

But I am proud of my girl, proud of my friend and so lucky to have had her come into my life.

Recently she has come swooping to my defense on a stupid classmates site that a former ...HUH how should I phrase it...PSYCHO has belittled and outright lied about me , my sister (OOHHH...That's a BAD) and totally ruined a once great site for friends to re connect and relish the past.

TAG!!! She is it now...taking all the brunt and "viscous" attacks from my cyber stalker(my stalker is a terrible speller).

WHAT A FRIEND!!

To me...that is the meaning of a true friend.

Literally YEARS can pass...but it doesn't matter.

A FRIEND IS A FRIEND IS A FRIEND..FOREVER.

That is the great thing about having a friend, you can count on them, they will always love you. Miles or time do not matter, what matters is that you love that person and they will always love you right back.

Now that this whole facebook, twitter, email, myspace phenom has occurred...I feel closer to her today...being hundreds of miles away, than I did nine years ago when I actually had to pick up the phone.

I am not sure what that says about our society as a whole...but it keeps me in touch easily with a dear friend and seems to bring us closer with every click of the mouse.

I have many friends..I am lucky in that respect.

I just want to point out how important it is to keep the bond, and remember that Webster also calls "friendly" ..Warm and comforting.

Those are two words that describe my YANKEE friend completely.

She is amazing...I always knew she would be....and her being a staunch "DEM" doesn't hurt either.

Just a shout out to you, my "Friend"... Thank you for loving me as much as I love you!

1 comment:

Joannah said...

well, THAT was nice... You specious pontificator! If only Ol Psycho had a clue about your great big, loving heart....and the smarts not to challenge that glorious ascerbic wit! ;) or her faithful minions.....