Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When Working Hard REALLY Pays Off

Followers of my blog will be up to speed.

My daughter has joined an obviously 14 karat club at school.

It is called the Winter Guard...they practice unbelievably hard and long to attend competitions all over the Metro Atlanta area.

I was totally devastated when I found out it was $650 for her to be happy and a part of this group.

It went down hill quickly.

$27 for a unitard, $20 for an undergarment, $40 for food when they go on their weekend competitions...$40 for an air mattress because they sleep on the floor of a classroom when they compete at other schools.

A $10 to $15 dollar present for her "secret sister" on the squad.

It never seems to stop and what is worse is that she came on as a replacement for another girl who quit the team almost halfway through the year (I guess her parents ran out of money).

She is so happy though and seems to be committed and it is the first really costly thing she has ever asked for...besides her lap top and her ipod and her digital camera.

Thank God she is actually an exceptional young woman with a heart as big as the national deficit.

So now comes the "big show" at our own high school. 3000 people expected to attend.

I pick her up from practice at 9:15 PM on Thursday. She hands me a note that says she has to sell $150 worth of ads for the program that will be handed out at the "HOME" event the following weekend before Monday morning.

I am supposed to take her to the high school the next day at 4PM to leave for a competition...not due back til Sunday at 7PM.

Somehow while she is gone for three days and I work the entire weekend...We are supposed to sell $150 in ads to an already broken and failing economy that could care less about her being thrilled at twirling and tossing her flag and feeling like she is finally PART of something.

I got REALLY lucky at work today.

My regional manager who is over all the restaurants in my area was in our store for a visit from the big wigs...Thank the Lord they were late.

I felt really apprehensive and embarrassed doing it...but I thought of my daughter, thought of my current economic position, thought of how good of an employee I have been for over ten years....and just WENT FOR IT!

You know what? There was only a slight hesitation, and a question of how much $$ I needed.

The event is being held not 3 miles from my restaurant and I will be attending and directing the masses to go eat at the best restaurant in a 20 mile radius...I am thinking about a sandwich board sign!

I told my regional and general manager how much it meant to me and my daughter , she gave them both a hug when we went to pick up the $$ for the ad.

I tend to give my hugs in the commitment, loyalty and devotion that I give to my job.

Sometimes I wonder why I am still waiting tables at the age of 49.

When days like this happen...I KNOW WHY.

I feel like I go beyond and above when I am at work...and you know what?

THEY KNOW IT.

WHAT GREATER JOB COULD I HAVE THAN ONE THAT APPRECIATES ME AS MUCH AS I APPRECIATE IT?

1 comment:

Joannah said...

Is it any wonder why you are her Best Friend? You Rock~