Saturday, March 28, 2009

SHE GOT THE GOLD!!

It is 12:56 Sunday morning.

I got home from work about thirty minutes ago after an exhausting but satisfying day.

Left the house before 7AM in a driving rain...maybe I should call it a torrential downpour.

My daughter had her tri state competition for Winter Guard (the big finale) in Macon. Unfortunately her group was to perform at 8:54 AM at the Macon Centreplex. (UGGH)

I have never, EVER driven as fast as I did this morning in such terrible conditions...I was just so scared that I would miss "The BIG Show".

I never went over the speed limit, but I felt like I should have been driving 40 MPH.

I screeched into the parking lot with four minutes to spare...ran through the parking lot while getting soaked to the bone...paid $15 for a ticket and ran into the arena to hear the announcement "And now the Junior Varsity Winter Guard from East Coweta may take the floor for competition".

I MADE IT!!

Still dripping wet, but yelling for my girl at the top of my lungs I got to see her awesome performance.

I called her when I left Newnan and told her the weather was horrific and if I happened to miss her performance I would meet her back at the high school they were staying at for the weekend.

After they left the stage I wound my way through restricted areas and found her having her picture taken with her team. The look on her face when she looked up and saw me, made paying $15 for a four minute ticket worth EVERY penny.

I followed the bus back to the high school in Warner Robbins where they stayed all weekend (nothing like living in a band room with 29 teenage girls).

The room was a total wreck with cell phones plugged into every available outlet and clothes , Doritos bags and empty powerade bottles everywhere...it was kind of like being in her room at the house!

I helped her fold her clothes, find her glasses that she had lost in the shuffle and spent three hours with her just wandering the school, talking with other girls, watching movies on one girl's lap top and just basking in the light of her love for me...I am so truly blessed.

The weather got nothing but worse while I was there. There were tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings...but it was a SUNNY DAY for me and my girl.

I left in time to drive "safely" home to go to work. I saw at least four wrecks and at one point a SUV in front of me hydroplaned and flew about 200 yards up an embankment landing flipped. I called 911 for the occupant who seemed dazed but alright...they were lucky and hit nothing but the water.

My blood pressure was probably sky high by the time I got home, I spent $20 in gas , $15 for a ticket to watch a 4 minute performance, gave her $10 for a tee shirt that she "HAD" to have...and would do it all again.

Right before I sat down to make this post, I checked my cell phone that I had left at the house by mistake when I went into work ..there was a text from Massey that she had sent earlier...it read "Thank you SO much for coming! I LOVE YOU"!

What more does a Mom need than that?

I'll tell ya what more...

She just called while I was starting this post and told me that her JV team got the GOLD medal!! Not only that but she got to accept the award with the team captain.

The varsity got a Bronze, which ain't too shabby considering there were over 75 different teams there.

So I go to bed at 2 AM last night, get up at 6:30, drive to Macon, drive back for work, come home from work at midnight, type this and get to go pick her up at 3AM at East Coweta when they return home from their victory...I might be waking Tim up for this little trip.

Not a bad day all in all for the Mom of a "Crip".

Kids can wear you out emotionally, physically and financially...but when they "love" you...it makes it all worth the effort and something that I wouldn't miss out on for anything in the world.

I have to go set Tim's alarm clock for 2:50 AM. I think as the sperm donor he should have to pick her up.

He was supposed to drive me this morning but flaked out on me saying we would NEVER make it in time.

Never tell a woman...especially a mother that something isn't "do-able"...it'll bite you in the butt every time.

It was a rainy miserable day...But I feel SOOOO good!

Til next time...COTTON

2 comments:

Frances said...

You are one more special Mom. Massey should thank her lucky starsfor you. You go through a lots just for her and some other Mothers might but not many I am afraid. You really had a good excuse (rain) but you pushed on through and was rewarded for it. I am glad it all turned out so well. Congratulations to Massey and you. F

Joannah said...

I am doing my "Rock and Roll" finger signs {dont know any gang signs} and yelling "Eastside!" for my favorite East Coweta "Crip"!

Way to go girls! Congratulations!