Friday, March 6, 2009

When The Son Doesn't Shine

I have three kids.

Love them all equally..all have qualities that I enjoy, some more than others.

My oldest son graduated high school with a 3.89 without ever cracking a book.

My daughter (who I have to SHOVE down the path of education) is more interested in her social activities and her baby sitting empire, yet she still manages to pull out the grades.

My middle son (GOD HELP US ALL) is bombing out of school at the rate of a sonic boom.

What amazes me is that HE is my really smart one!

He can tell you how to build an atom bomb, or tell you ANY historical fact that you never knew existed..and he would be right on the mark...Trust me..I have googled some of them.

He just doesn't like being "judged by numbers and letters". He is such a fantastic debater...even the principal of the school he attends has told me he needs to be an attorney.

He JUST falls through the cracks.

He hates school...(Not the social part) but says it is a waste of his time.

I emailed two of his teachers this past week...Zach is just dishonest about homework unless I email them.

The first response I got was ALMOST uplifting.


"Mrs.Cotton, your son is not disruptive or disrespectful, he just chooses to not complete or turn in assignments".

WHEW!!! I almost felt good!

No parent likes to hear that their kid is being a snot to the teacher or "sassing" them (old school term I know, but I am AM almost 50).

Then came the email from his Science teacher:

"Mrs. Cotton... Thanks for your email.

Zach is on the borderline of brilliant.

He is lazy in class and does not turn in assignments.

The other day I asked a question that involved intuitive thought. I only expected the high scoring kids in the class to answer, and as they were all scrambling through their books and notes, Zach woke up and gave me the exact answer I was looking for".

This teacher told me that on a daily basis he tells Zach to unleash the talent, use the wonderful brain he has and make it work FOR him.

My oldest son was so easy...I guess I should have seen Zach coming!

He seems to be easing up a bit and realizing MY take on it all.

He is wasting a potential that even "I" would kill to have.

Granted he is right...judging by numbers and letters is ridiculous...but it is school and that is the standard they use.

As my husband often says..."Let's just try to get him out of school and he will be the next Bill Gates".

I hate to have to keep my thumb on him on a daily basis...but I do.

If I email his teachers and check his grades online every day..he seems to at least do the work...but why, oh why does he have to make it SO hard on me?

KIDS...go figure!

At least he has the potential...maybe one day he will realize it.

1 comment:

Joannah said...

Stay Gold Ponyboy. We are going to need your big ideas. ;)