Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Like Having a Toddler Again

So I guess if you  read my blog you know we got a new Boxer puppy. We needed it like we all need another hole in each of our heads but he was full blooded, AKC registered and free. Really,what's four more paws in my house anyway? Sometimes I enjoy the paws more than the feet!

When we lost Rosie two years ago, it was devastating. She was a beauty inside and out.

Our new black boxer pup is named "Ziggy." Massey  came up with it after she vetoed me naming him "Ali." I think my name was more unique and a clever play on words. (Get it? Male black  boxer who's name is Ali?)

Massey and Zach are both Marley fans...Bob, Ziggy and the rest of the " Reggae- Brady Bunch." They got more kids than the ole woman who lived in a shoe but I also like them so I relented. (although I am  the one who will end up taking care of  him when the newness wears off )

I can leave him outside for two hours and when he comes inside he seems really happy...to pee on my floor. I was getting ready for work the other morning and after being outside with the other two idiots for a couple of hours, I let them all in. Charlie settled into his man cave under my king size bed and Ham hopped up ONTO the bed. Ziggy can't make the big jump to join Ham yet and Charlie has a cover charge for "The Cave" , so he plopped down by me while I did my three minute make up job which was also preceded by  my  thirty second hair do and my four minute shower.

He got up and stretched. (That should have been my warning) He wandered out into the hall and proceeded to  hunch over and take a dump.

Thinking now like a Monday morning quarterback...I just should have shut up while he made a nice little circular pile of doo-doo that I could pluck up in one use of ten sheets of  toilet paper.

Instead I screamed him name loudly right as he got his Hunch on. He dropped a load and then scurried off, knowing he had done wrong but still hunched over  leaving a good  five feet of doo-doo bomb lets along the way.

I raised three kids and so far three dogs ...I should have know better!

It's like starting over. At least THIS one can't actually ask for things and I don't really think he's college material unless they come out with  clown college for dogs by the time he's in his teens.

But I absolutely LOVE the little stinker.  He is as black and sleek as a Seal. He makes me laugh and has revitalized my two older pups.

Who'd a thunk it...He came in 3 months old and is already the Alpha male. They both love him, they both get tired of his non stop play but simply and gently bat him back a good five feet with one paw when they have had enough. He tumbles back head over feet but puts his front paws down  and immediately barks at  them like "Hey! Come on...are ya ole farts or WHAT?"

He starting hacking yesterday morning and Tim got up to let him out. He eats everything in sight or reach. He loves waste baskets in  the bathrooms.   He can play with a lid from a to go cup for forty five minutes. He's mesmerized by empty toilet paper rolls. We thought he had something stuck in his throat.

After coming back inside he was no better so I stroked his throat in a downward motion hoping to help the lodged item move on through his system so he could poop it out on my floor tomorrow.

Then he started acting like he was trying to cough something up so I applied the Puppy Heimlich maneuver. (I invented it on the fly) It didn't work either but his lipstick came out of it's case  for the first time.

By this time Massey was home from school and Zach followed shortly after. I told them I had to go to work but they were both fretting over Ziggy. When I left for work they were loading him up in Tim's car taking him to a vet one of Zach's friends work for.

I got a text at work that they thought Zig had Kennel Cough.  I thought more along the lines of a Q Tip or cotton ball halfway down but Massey and Zach paid for the visit and brought the little lunatic back home with a prescription.

I got a prescription for him too... I prescribe that we whack his butt and rub his nose in it!

It's been a solemn couple of years around here and I will be the first admit Ziggy has made us all smile again.

He's still a little stinker and when I produce the QTip out of a pile of his steaming poop..."I shall be the victor!"

How could you not love this little alien? (click on the photo) The girl who gave him to us said she used to call him "The Alien" because his eyes were wide apart and had a huge knot on top of his head.

I say "Welcome to our planet, Little Zig."

I couldn't love this pup more...unless he learned how NOT to poop in the house. It's not like we live in a mansion but dust and and dog hair can be swiped away with a cloth. Poop is another thing. I pretty  much give my kids free range but at least they poop and pee in the toilet.

Will "Pupdate" later.   COTTON









No comments: