Saturday, November 16, 2013

My World is a Rainbow


Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red, brown, yellow
Black and white
They are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children
Of the world.

This was always one of my favorite Bible School songs...and over fifty years later the lyrics mean even more.

Yes I live in  Rainbow World and it's a wonderful place to be.

I went into work early today, four o'clock. One of my first  tables was a single black (old school term but absolutely mean no disrespect) man. Some servers hate getting one tops, I kinda like it. I can be their dining partner as I wait on  them. He had just left the gym (already getting to know him) and ordered a nice bottle of wine that he could cork and take home with him after dinner. He was reading "The New Yorker" so I knew we were most likely kindred spirits.

Just last month someone posted on FB  the difference between Repubs and Dems is  that Repubs say work hard, be dedicated and you  can have anything you  want. Dems say  here you can have this whether you  work for it or not.

I really took offense at this. Number one, I consider myself  a Democrat although am fed up with both sides of the aisle. I'm more of an Independent. I've voted across party lines many times. I vote for  the person and policy, not their party.

Number two, I do consider myself a Liberal. What's wrong with being "Not limited to or by  traditional, orthodox or authoritarian attitudes or dogmas; free from bigotry. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of  the ideas and behavior of  others; broad minded."?
Yep, call me a big fat ninety five pound Liberal.

And even if I am labeled a Dem, have worked since the age of fourteen. I've paid into  the system since 1974 and yes have been  taken care of  by  the system, for the first time when  in my late forties. I'd say I was due.

When I took my new friend / customer his check this afternoon, he actually thanked me for being so nice to him. I told him it was much easier to be nice than mean and he agreed.

There is too much meanness and there are too many haters. There are too many people who think it's "Their Way or NO way."  There is too much "I'm right and you are wrong" in our society.

Society is defined as "The totality of of social relationships among human beings."

That means not just Dems, not just Repubs. Not just Whites, Blacks, Asians, Indians or Latinos. Not just Christians or Muslims, Buddists or even the Agnostic. Not just Heterosexuals and not just the rich or the poor. It means ALL OF US.

Simply put, there are good people and there are bad people and it's up to the good people to come together and try to overcome the bad people and make  THEM the minority. Then  WE (the good people ) will have control and things will start becoming better and better. This applies to politicians and this applies to random people walking down  the street.

Now for a short lesson from Dr. Seuss (a genius in my book).

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

 "A person's a person, no matter how small.”

 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

 "To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”

 "Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.”

I am appalled at the bigotry and small minds of not only this great country I live in but the world in general.

To hate a person who is Gay is like hating someone who has blue eyes.

To look down on someone on welfare is like like saying you'd never be on welfare. I have worked for over  thirty nine years and had to go on assistance to keep my family fed. Was it embarrassing? You betcha, did it keep my family afloat, it sure did. I was humiliated, humbled but grateful.

Of course there are people working the system. Like I said, there are good people and there are bad people. But some of the bad people have little kids...sometimes to get a bigger check, but who are we to deny these little people who didn't ask to be born into this world?

Yes we need more checks and balances, not only for us but the government as well.
 Going back to my original theory, There are good people and there are bad people. Some are rich  and some are poor. Some are scamming  and some are needing.




 Come on people now!

I've lived over half a century and have lived high and I had lived low.

It's time to come together.

Til next  time,  a believer in the power of LOVE. Maybe the hippies had it right.

COTTON




No comments: