Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Girl Gone...

This time tomorrow night, I will be at work and Massey will be landing in New York City. I am a worrier to begin with but every  time I think about this trip my eyes well up with tears. I am excited beyond belief  for her but worried about my own  sanity without my sidekick of almost eighteen years for four days. Massey and I are close.  We  fight like best friends do and we love like best friends do...we simply ARE best friends.

This trip seemed so far away when it was planned. Now it is knocking on the door asking for bags  to be packed.

They are doing so many amazing things ...NBC Studios tour, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue (please don't shop there, Massey) Manhattan, Gershwin Theatre, Broadway for a chorus workshop .Times Square, 911 Memorial, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Radio City Music Hall, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Carnegie Hall, Apollo Theatre and seeing Wicked on Broadway.

The wind is crazy here tonight. Blowing 20 to 30 mph gusts. I feel like they are blowing Massey  away from me. She's my youngest and the most ready to fly away. I know she is ready, but I'm not.

It's killing me knowing she is ready and am very unprepared  (mostly unwilling) to let her go.

I know I will survive but is a hard pill for a Momma to swallow.

Seems like last week I took this picture. Now TJ is living in Australia, Zach is thinking about moving out and Massey is moving ahead so quickly it makes my head spin.

When they are born you are excited but know you have made at least an eighteen year investment. I'm down to my last one but never thought letting go would be so excruciating.

This little girl who came into the world weighing barely four pounds is ready to spread her wings and fly. I want to stop her. I want to hold her back. I want to keep her...but I can't.

When applying for college scholarships my sister, being a former teacher wrote a letter of recommendation for Massey which truly says it all:

"Dear Sir or Madam,
I have never had a request for a letter of recommendation that was easier or more pleasant to write than this one for Massey  Cotton, someone very worthy of your help. As a former  high school teacher I can say that high school students with  Massey's compassion are few and far between. She treats everyone with respect and is friends with students across all  social, racial and economic strata. Kids with physical disabilities are just as likely to be smiled upon and treated as special by  Massey as are the more popular kids, all of whom are her friends. While her family has had financial struggles not of their own making the last few years, Massey never complained or felt sorry  for herself, but has grown even closer to her family and is grateful for how hard her parents work. She takes her education seriously and works hard. I hope that she will be successful and make a lot money doing what she loves. She hopes she can get an education so that she can be of help to others. How many seventeen year old's think  like that? Massey  is as unique as her name. She was given the maiden name of her grandmother who died at age 48, on August 19, 1977, the day Massey was born, eighteen years later.

I thank you for your consideration of this most special girl.
Sincerely,
Cindy Leach Hall"

 Okay. I'm not gonna cry anymore. Massey and I have been doing the dance all night. I am anxious  she is going to the world's biggest city and she is upset I am a worrier.

I am throwing caution to the wind and letting her go. How ironic is it that we are under a "Wind Advisory" tonight?

How hard and long can you hug a girl? Guess I'll find out in the morning!

Til next  time...COTTON

No comments: