Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Like Days Like This

It's eleven PM and I just got home from work...and we closed at  9:30. It's a good tired though. I got a ton of things done today. It was my only day off this week so I made the most of it. I took Massey to school  this morning so I could use her car. Came home and took a little nap with the pups and then Zach took us to Mother's Kitchen for lunch.

I guess I napped too long, she was out of collard greens and black eyed peas but asked if we would wait for her to fry us fresh chicken breasts. I also had mac and cheese and baby limas along with her wonderful cornbread. Best fried chicken I ever had! I clean my plate every  time we go. Zach had her daughter's sweet potato pie for dessert. (two slices)

Eating there with all  those wonderful folks not only fills your stomach but is good for the soul. Guess that's why they call it "Soul Food." I felt so good I didn't even mind stopping by Wal Mart on  the way home, a trip I usually dread.

It was a beautiful sunny day and  wanted to let the dogs stay out back for few hours but had a lot of things to do and couldn't keep  my eye on Little Houdini (Ziggy  the escape artist) so I bought a thirty foot cable run with an anchor you screw into the ground. We bought an extra twenty feet of cable so he can run all over the back yard but can't get within ten feet of the back fence he so easily clears when the whim strikes him. It's usually a bird, deer or squirrel he spots over the fence and with one extremely graceful leap he is up,  over and after it!

Zach messed around with my sick little Beemer the other day and got it to start so since we had Massey's car , crossed our fingers and he drove it to the doctor's office (AKA) as my mechanic, Dr. Mike. I told the doctor to just give it a check up. Start with an oil change and tune up  and only fix the crucial things. I can live with a car that has worn out shocks, a bad bearing in the rear wheel, no radio, one window that won't roll up and a rear end that needs to be replaced. That's all just window dressing if you  ask me!

We came home and low and behold, Ziggy was still in the back yard ! I also got to pick  up a shift from a server who had a test to study  for. (that's why I like working with college kids)

While on the way  to work my sister called  to see if I was working tonight because her high school friend and college room mate wanted to bring her mom in for her birthday. I've known her since I was a little kid. Once she got out of college  was actually the basketball coach and our cheer leading sponsor at  my high school. She now lives in Washington State and  haven't seen her in decades.

 She used to go on vacation with our family to Florida when she and my sister were in high school together. I was around ten years old and very annoying. They used to pay me a quarter to just  shut up. I made a lot of money on those trips for skee ball at the amusement park! It was when I was in my phase of speaking a language no one understood but me. I would randomly say very raipdly "Peri scooply ma dio  candito" and act like it meant something. Everyone pretty much ignored me, but being ten thought I sounded cool . We were eating in a restaurant at  the beach one day when a thunderstorm hit. A huge bolt of cloud to ground lightning made  the power go out, scared the poop out of all of us  and out of my mouth immediately shot "Pala screamo exoduso!!" For once I got a laugh.

Tonight she came into to eat with us at  the restaurant with her partner, her sister and her mom. (who looks fantastic to be in her eighties) Her mom is the quintessential southern woman. When my sister and Dotti were in high school (Dotti played on the basketball team) her mom would say "Dotti has a Bye -skit -ball game tonight, are y'all going?"  Her mom looked beautiful tonight, still has a sharp mind , good wit and it was a delight waiting on them.

 I introduced them to the owners and my boss, Len bought the mom a free huge slice of his triple chocolate layer cake for her birthday. I was telling them all how he made everything in house, from the stocks he cooks with to the crepes, salad dressings, pasta and desserts. I told them he makes all my kid's birthday cakes too.
It was a wonderful experience. (at least for me) They asked me what Len (the owner) could NOT do to which I replied  "Anything right, according to his wife."
Ba-da- BOOM!!
I think I heard a cymbal crash  too!

I've been friends with Dotti through  social networking the past few years but haven't seen her in person in quite a while. She's a beautiful person and while waiting on her tonight realized how much she looks like my sister.

Her own family struggled with the fact she was gay which disappointed me, but delights me to know they have finally realized blood is thicker than sexual orientation. So it creeps some people out. Heck, it  still creeps me out to  think about my parents 'doing it'  and they were straight.

 Unless you are a perve, relationships are meant to be personal...that's why they call it a relationship. Webster's defines it as "Connection or association."

Meeting Roby was great too,! I've been friends with her for a couple of years on social networking  and they both read my blog.

Here's the thing. I 'm NOT gay although I could play one on TV. As I like to say..."It's just a hair cut."

Live and let live . Judge not, lest you be judged and above all...simply love each other. It's not rocket science, it's called humanity and acceptance.

Til next  time...COTTON









1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the great read, Kelly! I just read aloud to Cin and Dotti and the three of us had a great laugh over coffee. Thanks!!