Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Twelve Paws of Christmas

It rained all day...well at least all the hours I was out in it. My dogs see it raining and just stare at me when I open the back door seeming to say "Are you serious?"

It stopped for about ten minutes before I left to go shopping and shoved all twelve paws out the back door. Ham pooped, Charlie pooped and Ziggy just sat and watched them both. I've never had a mentally challenged dog but believe I just may have one. I left them out til it started pouring again and brought them back inside one by one, wiping all twelve paws with a beach towel. I left with my list. Zach decided to stay home and clean the house and that was just fine with me.

I had just left the bank when my cell rang. Zach said "I just vacuumed the living room and then Ziggy took a dump in it. This dog just ain't right." I told him where the carpet cleaner was and said "Good luck!"

I knocked out all shopping for the kids and Tim in less than two hours. I went to BJ's and bought dog food and a roast for dinner. Came home and put the roast in the oven. I was off today but a family who always asks for me made a reservation for six tonight at six thirty and requested me. I had spent my budget and still had a few presents left to get so I told the owners I would come in and wait on them.

Roast in the oven, dogs fed, presents bought and work shirt ironed. I walked into work and it was insane. I went up front to the lobby and there sat a good friend of mine from the Western Sizzler where I used to work. She said "They told me you were off today." I told her I was off but came in to wait on a party of six. She asked if I could wait on her party too? I didn't want to take tables away from another server since I wasn't even on the schedule but they were balls to the wall so I took them too.

Two hours later I walked out with the money I needed to finish my shopping and dinner was ready at the house.

Let the dogs out back when I got home and for some freaky reason Ziggy actually took a dump in the yard. He must have been confused.

Opening the store in the morning and also working the dinner shift. Repeating the process on Saturday. I don't have to be at work til four on Sunday so will finish shopping and buy groceries for Christmas dinner before work.

It's all worked out just fine. I tend to work better under pressure,  guess that's why I work so much...so I can get stuff done.

I won't lie. The past four years have anything but easy but guess who made it? This ninety five pound gray haired wrinkled woman!

My family has survived too. No thanks to me but thanks to family, friends and friends of friends and some times even strangers. My pups are all good...with the exception of Ziggy. He's just a bad boy but I love him anyway.

This is gonna be a good Christmas!

I know there will be a lot of people who will have a sad Christmas, not only in Connecticut but across the globe and my heart goes out to each and every one of you. I hope some of that money I threw in the Salvation Army bucket reaches you. I also hope someone reaches out and makes you at least smile once. I hope your life will one day get back to normal...which may be learning to live with the grief of losing a child or partner or learning to live with hunger and praying the help keeps coming. I hope this world rises up!

It's the have and have nots. I used to be a have... then I was a have not. Now I am blessed beyond my wildest expectations. It's my turn again now.

I might just stop by  that Salvation Army store tomorrow on my break and see what they need the most. Cash would be great and save me another trip to the crazy  stores!

Hug your children tight, pet your pups. Tell your spouse you  love them without including "Did you unload the dishwasher like I asked you?"

Think about kids starving here in our own nation and millions more starving around the globe. Think about drug lords ruling not only cities but countries. Think about our own politicians who can't get their own heads out of their ass to do something productive or at least try and work together.

Remember  the Reason for the Season...and think about the rest of the world too. You could be living in a haunting hurtful place but if by The Grace of God you aren't...there are millions who could use your help.

Love and you will be loved.

Til next  time COTTON



No comments: