Thursday, December 27, 2012

Once Again...I Am Lucky

This is my family. This was my life. Why momma and her friend brought pocket books to the lake beach still makes me wonder but momma never learned to swim and never got in over her ankles so I guess she needed her purse more than a raft.

I had the greatest parents a kid could ever hope for. They were married to each other and there was no other option to them, they took their vows seriously and were still in love with each other the day my momma died. Our house was like a magnet...it drew everyone there. The egg man who came once a week, Frank Reeves. His son is now well known on the gardening channel, Walter Reeves.. The man who owned the Gulf station (Herman Jeans)  Carlton Pierce, my Diddy's friend from  high school and the Navy. Peg, the  guy who used to come by our house and sell us fruits and vegetables off his truck. They called him Peg because he had one leg  and the other was a wooden peg.


Adults, friends of ours and even strangers felt (and were) welcome in our house. It was a house full of  love. My friends loved coming to our house. There was always something cooking or something going on. I was  the luckiest girl on earth.

To be honest what ever has happened in my life or how much people have helped me goes right back to my roots. They survived raising us three kids and didn't have a lot of money but had more love than any person could imagine or ever want. Love is all you need...the more you give the more you get.

This picture of my parents is dear to me. Diddy looks tired but still in love. I have all the trivets on the wall behind momma and they hang on my own kitchen wall.

I had the best parents. How can I not make them proud? I have faltered and we have stumbled but just like the people who loved my parents and flooded to our house day after day for a glimpse of the happy life ...I want to have a home like that.

 With all the blessings I have been miraculously given, with all the support I have been shown, I feel guilty for having a sweet sigh of relief.

But my Momma didn't raise a fool. If it takes the rest of my life as it well should, I will pay it forward. I will never judge but leave that to The Big Guy. I will help another or step in to stop an injustice. I will be thankful every  day for the ones who not only love me but have helped my family and pups.

In my middle age I needed help and found an outpouring of love. From my family, from my friends and even strangers who I now consider friends.

You get what you give. I was given an extraordinary childhood. I was given a great husband and three wonderful kids. I have three pups who are like my own kids and we have all been shown love beyond belief.

I have much to pay forward and look forward to it!

Love your God, family and neighbor. Love others and love yourself. I truly believe "Love" is what this world is missing and needs the most. I have been blessed . Wouldn't you like to feel the same?

Til next time...an extremely grateful COTTON

No comments: