Sunday, December 23, 2012

Ready or Not...Here it Comes!

I quit trying to remember my last day off a couple of weeks ago. It was pointless, all my days have blended together. I just wake up and put on a uniform, go in and come home when they let me. That's the way it is during the holidays when you are a server. But if you don't work you don't get paid so I chose work. It's paid off and taken it's toll as well.

The kids have been pretty good about helping. I took three hours one day and knocked out their presents and have sent them out every day since with a detailed list for everyone else. I have maybe five gifts left to buy and was going to do  that today before I went into work at four.

 I woke up at nine this morning after working  two back to back grueling double shifts and noticed immediately that my pillow and bed never seemed to fit to my body so exactly perfect as they did at that very moment. I decided to give it another hour. I knew I had to drive to Griffin about twenty five minutes away to the mill store my momma shopped at when we were kids. It's called The Sock Shoppe."  You can find anything there ridiculously cheap from towels to socks to undies to jeans  to hoodies to jewelry.

 Tim brought me two 500 mg ibuprofen and a glass of orange juice. I called the mill store  and they were open on Christmas Eve til three so I rolled over and settled back in. It was my Christmas present to myself and an outstanding choice if I may say so.

I went into work at four and the tipping gods thankfully smiled on me. Had a bonus, one of my old customers from the Western Sizzler I used to work at came in with a huge bag of Divinity his mother makes every year and sends me a bag. It was like crack...I couldn't get enough.

Then it got even better. Two dear friends from Florida came in to eat with me. They love me dearly as I do them but are "Team Massey" all the way. They have shown my daughter so much love and in return my daughter loves them to the moon, which with the domino effect makes me love them even more. There have been times when I couldn't do  things for her and they made it happen. They not only love her but guide her. By being mentors to my girl they are being the greatest friends I could ever hope for. As a bonus I had a bag of crack to share with them!

I walked out the door tonight knowing I didn't have to be back til Wednesday afternoon and  felt like the Governor had given me a pardon or at least a stay of execution.

I think about this past year as it comes to a close. I am older, I am grayer and unfortunately I am thin as a walking stick. I hate looking in the mirror seeing my gaunt gray self but then think it is a face of someone who has survived with the help of  many and realize I am  thin and bony,  but  by Webster's definition of  gaunt  certainly don't consider myself  "Bleak and desolate."

I am one stinking lucky woman.

We have all survived.  My husband and kids  should all get medals for putting up with my manic insanity. My family and friends have helped us through the dark side and  can see a light at the end of the tunnel. If it isn't a train, we'll be okay.

My pup who is blind and unfortunately has heart worms  has been taken care of by  donations. It may sound crazy to care about a dog this much. If my three kids needed help they would definitely be first but lucky for me they are all healthy just lazy.

I am blessed beyond belief. We have battled back from six months behind on our mortgage to eight weeks late. In this economy I consider that a miracle in its self.

It will be a good Christmas. Got a tree in the living room that smells great after I clean up Ziggy's dog poop. My friends bought it for us. It is wonderful to be loved.

It's crazy around here...and I kinda like it that way. It's been crazy so long it would feel weird to be normal which Webster's defines as " Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm."

My family is anything but normal but deal with the cards we were dealt.

Kinda makes you want to  come to our house on Christmas Day doesn't it?  Come see the freak show we'll be here all day!

Come on down...There will be lots of laughs, lots of  food and lots of love!

"Come one come all....there is love for you all."

Merry  Christmas!  COTTON








No comments: