Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

I found last year's Peter Pan costume in scattered places. The hat I made was in the garage, tights were buried in one of my drawers and the smock which took fifteen minutes to sew was in  the top of the closet which used to be Massey's bedroom.  It beat ironing a uniform for work so off I went this morning...looking like a ninety five pound idiot. I couldn't  find my sword from last year so I made one out of cardboard when I got to work. We were busy as poop and if I had  to tell one more old person I was NOT an elf or leprechaun I was gonna get ticked. Since when do elves or leprechauns have swords?

I went in at ten thirty for a lunch shift and got off at  five in the afternoon. It was of my own choosing but after explaining my costume all day I was just ready to go.

When my kids were little Halloween was a big deal. We bought a house in a new subdivision so all of our kids grew up together. Only a few families have moved so there are fewer kids left.

This pic was made when Massey and Zach both still got into Halloween. TJ was older and either at work or with friends. Zach thought he looked "Boss" and Massey knew she was destined to be a beauty AND drama queen.


I think she has accomplished both missions.
I used to open windows and put speakers in them with spooky music blaring from my stereo, paint my face green and don a witch outfit. One year I even had a haunted house in my gargage.
How did we go from TJ's second birthday to my youngest applying for college?

TJ was fortunate...or maybe unfortunate to be brought into my own crazy family. This is a pic of my brother tormenting my nephew, Griffin while TJ looks super happy about it.

All the kids have grown up and I have enjoyed every minute. Tim and I started out weak but grew more than we would have ever imagined. We were rocking life  then it kicked us in the teeth.

We have survived! And you know why? Because of love. My family loves me and I am a firm believer of "You reap what you sow." I am not a perfect person, never pretend to be but if you pay it forward every moment of your life, you will be blessed beyond belief and I have been time amd time again.

Not meaning  to sound sad or pitiful... because I'm not. I am one of the luckiest peeps on earth.

I have had bad years (who hasn't.)  I have had good years too and  learned how to tell the difference.

At the age of fifty two I have decided, if I have made it this far with the help of SO many others  I can't think of one reason to not "Steam ahead...Full throttle!" And hope to pay it back.

Til next  time...COTTON










No comments: