Saturday, October 20, 2012

Boy the Times Have Changed

Here's my girl , my youngest child...less than two weeks old. My tiny hand is  larger than her even tinier face. She came into this world at four pounds.

Today she is a senior in high school. Tonight was the homecoming dance. The homecoming game was last night but the dance was tonight. Seems messed up to me but what do I know?

They all came into the restaurant tonight. Not just Massey's high school but another as well. You would have thought they were all headed to the Oscars. Shimmering dresses, gold flaked heels that even a hooker would have a hard time walking the streets in and a LOT of skin showing.

When I was in high school... we had homecoming, played the weakest team on the schedule beat their butts and immediately all went to the auditorium where the mirror ball had been hung. It was before Disco or it would have been called a Disco Ball. No other decorations, just a live band on stage comprised of fellow students who  had put together a garage band and played at local parks and our high school dances. When my older sister graduated it was "Hot Ice."

I couldn't remember the name of the band who played, but know that Big Mike was the  drummer and the Alston's along with Mac Greene. NOW I remember..."Alien!"

What great times! We shuffled over from the football field in our "Barefoot Sandals" and Levis. They were huge "Queen" fans but played everything from "Walk This Way" to  "Dream On" to  "Stairway to Heaven."

No fancy dresses or suits. No fancy dinner, just pizza from  Gigi's or burgers from  Mac Donalds's. Just a couple of hundred kids having the time of their life!

Oh to think back to nights at Perkerson Park. The band playing and all of us hoping to just hook up for a kiss, hug or even a wink. (I only got winks but felt lucky)

It was like being at the skating rink again but you had "matured." If that ain't a laugh, just quit reading this blog because you don't understand the mindset of which I speak.

It was a time when you thought everything was crucial. You thought if you weren't one of the popular crowd or at least FRIENDS of the popular crowd you would be wiped off the face of the earth. It was a time when your life seemed so important that not only are your parents stupid but incredibly  embarrassing.

"Been there..done that!"

I've spoiled my kids, not financially but spoiled them none the less.

If they had the great experience of growing up when I did, they would know right off the bat... "Dang , I'm a lucky stinking kid."

I love being a kid of the seventies. It was wild and furious. It was a time when we still had a conscience if you were raised right.

We grew up,  manned  up,  forged ahead and made a difference.

Two kids down...one to go.

Having raised three kids, I am glad they have just survived. The world isn't like it used to be.

There are no bare foot sandals, there is no letting your kids roam without Internet access.

It's pretty scary  and a  hugely large and potentially dangerous world out there.


No more"Mirror Balls"

It takes a talk, it takes some time and it takes an effort.

Til next  time  COTTON



No comments: