Monday, June 25, 2012

The Latest "PupDate"

 It's been a year  since we lost our precious Rosie. We offered to make a Craig's List posting for my friend at work to sell her remaining boxer pups in exchange for getting Ziggy. The day before we picked him up I almost called her back and said I had come to my senses. Three dogs again...seriously. I was worried about the two males I already had at  home. It took us a year to get them to quit fighting...and a fight between a Bull Dog and an Old English Bull Dog / Boxer mix isn't a pretty thing to witness. I have the scars to prove it.

We don't live in an extravagant house but we have an awesome back yard. It's 3/4 of an acre fenced in with woods at the back, plenty of shade and plenty of room to run. I was most worried about Charlie, the Bratty Bull Dog. He started every fight he ever had with Ham. We would separate them only to have Charlie come back for more, even though he got his butt kicked every time.
 When we went to pick up the puppy, my heart melted and my good sense went quickly away. My friend breeds dogs and we told her we didn't want to pick one since she was giving us one. She said, as Ziggy tumbled sleepily out of her van (where he had vomited on the ride) "He's the most chill one we have and I think he will do okay with your other two males."
 I was all worried about Charlie liking him. I should have worried more about Charlie raping him. Charlie couldn't sniff him enough. Ham was on the fence. I think it bothered him that Charlie was so fascinated with the pup.
 Charlie is a spectacular looking dog...and  as stupid as he is spectacular... but I love the fat goofus.
Ham has taken some time to get used to Ziggy, but Ziggy knows his limitations. He already knows the difference between a mean growl from Ham and a "It's okay" growl from Ham. I sit out back at night reading and have noticed sometimes Ham will even push a ball towards Ziggy wanting him to play.

Yep! I am a dog loving idiot.

Should I have gotten  another dog? As Massey would say "Probs not" but I did it anyway and only being a week into it am glad I did. Ziggy has re energized my other two dogs and made us all smile as well.

Zach had a tough year, but when we brought this puppy home I noticed Zach grinning from ear to ear. He comes in from work at night and actually laughs at  Ziggy's antics and goofy disposition. Zach royally "Effed" up but he also "Manned"up. He did his time and owned up to his mistake. More importantly he paid for his mistake and learned from it.

After the past few years I had,  I needed something to make me smile...and this little pup does it.  Tim loves him too... and he was the biggest objector to me getting him.

Ham has always been my baby, Charlie gravitated towards Zach since TJ moved out and now Massey has her own pup.

It's been a tough few years here but we survived. We are still battling but swinging large and wide.

This pup has turned out to  be just what we needed. A new face...happiness and a reason to smile.
After my meltdown on Father's Day at work, they have insisted on me taking at least two days off a week. I thought they wanted to get rid of me but realized they only wanted to "Keep me."

Life is good. The sunset tonight was magnificent. It was like God smiling at me with a soft orange glow.  My luck seems to have finally turned the corner. It will be still be a hard road, but I have reached the smooth pavement.

I would like to take all the credit but I can't. I have so many family members and friends that  not only helped me weather the storm but gave me shelter from the storm.

One thing I CAN say about myself for a fact (other than I am too skinny) is that I am truly blessed and loved.

I think The Beatles got it right when they said "Love is all you need." Maybe add "Get by with a little help from your friends."

I have tomorrow off...something I am not used to but will take full advantage of. Cutting grass, cooking for the family and kicking back.

I know there are millions and millions less fortunate than me. I know with all we have been through, there are people  who would kill to be in my shoes...literally.

For the first time in over two years, my job is done and I am headed to bed before Larry King comes on. (That's how long it has been)

I am a blessed woman, I am a loved woman.

Take some time to  think of the millions and millions of people that live in squalor with no water, no shoes, no roof over their heads or even a place to lay their head down.

So what gas prices are down? That's great for me. Let's all look at the BIG picture.

Help a friend when you can, help a stranger when you feel compelled to...Just help,  this world would be a better place if you do.

Pay it forward...Pay it forward...Pay it forward.

May sound crazy but a concept that has not only helped me but one I intend to live for the rest of my life.

Til next time...COTTON









No comments: