Friday, December 1, 2017

The Count Down

This is one of my all time favorite pics of Massey. My sister took it when Massey was about four.




Hard to believe she is graduating college a week from tomorrow.




                       She's our only daughter and one of the best friends I've ever made or had.




She's exuberant to the point of exhaustion. The kid never quits. She's determined to change the world.


                                 
                                                    My money's on her doing exactly that!



When Tim and I hit the skids after our twenty year run of constant advancement, she was in high school and all too aware of what had happened.

It was a double edged sword and in hindsight, was the greatest lesson we could could ever teach her.

I wouldn't change the past or what happened to us, even if I could. It is what defines us.





Our oldest went to Georgia State University for a year after graduating high school, then took a year off to make some easy money. He never went back, but has succeeded tremendously after a bit of waffling and doing absolutely great financially.






Our younger son and middle child, Zach never even  wanted to go to high school much less college...although is of the smartest (albeit stubborn) people you'll ever meet.



            I say kudos to him for not wasting money on something you have no interest in doing.


He floundered like a fish on the dock for far too long but after learning the hard way, has made it on his own back in Georgia without us for over a year now. He's doing what he wants to do...cook. He's currently the Sous Chef at a new up and coming  high end restaurant back home where we lived.








                                     Three kids, three different stories. Three different lives.
                         
                                       Who can choose a better life for yourself than you?







Massey has always been driven to get a college degree. She quit all extra curricular activities before her junior year in high school and brought her GPA up to Honor Student status.



We supported her every step of the way, even when we couldn't. I'll never forget that day we helped move her into her freshman dorm. Her room mates' parents were there as well, hauling in a flat screen TV, microwave, little fridge, WiFi router and every other single thing a girl could dream of to have in her first dorm room.


I brought a tunnel fan I'd bought at Walmart a couple of years back. I was totally embarrassed. Kudos to her room mates' parents, who acted like I'd brought a Tesla for them both to drive around campus.








 My brother has been more than instrumental for Massey getting her degree. When Tim and I didn't qualify to help her get a loan, he stepped up to the plate...and has again and again for the past few years.






        My family loves me, with all my many faults. Lucky for me, they also love my daughter.



She's finished her degree here in Orlando on line from Georgia and this next Saturday we will have our very first college graduate.






We're all going back (including my brother) to see her walk with her class at graduation. TJ and his lil' fam are coming from North Carolina. Our Lost Boy, Zach will be there too and having a graduation party at my sisters'.



It's been a tough decade for us, but feels so wonderful for us all to  have survived, flourished and carried on.


My girl. Our girl.


She's got a way about her.







"Dear Massey,

This is your Momma writing to you via the web. Your dad and I are both so proud of you, along with your two brothers and countless family members.

If there is anyone in this world destined to make a difference, it's you.
Go kick life out of the park.

Thank you for loving me with all my faults and thank you for being You."











                                                       You'll aways be my bestie.



Til Next Time..COTTON

No comments: