Monday, December 4, 2017

To Tree or Not to Tree

                                                To tree or not to tree? That is the question.

                                    The above picture is from our last Christmas in Georgia.
                                                              It was a twelve footer.

Tim, Massey and I were sitting around our tiny temp living room today talking, all within two feet of each other yet across the room from each other. Massey said "Not gonna lie, I want a Christmas tree this year."

Last year this time, none of us were in the mood for a tree. I slapped a tiny strand of lights around the plant by the kitchen doorway and finished decorating for Christmas in literally ten seconds.

This year is a different story.

We've settled in nicely and all with great jobs. Massey graduates college in less than a week and all is  good in the proverbial hood.


We're headed back to Georgia on Friday for her graduation on Saturday so I told Massey today we'd stop by our old house while there and pack up our Christmas decorations stored in the attic to bring back to O Town...all twenty seven years' worth.


If we used them all, would look like a Griswald Christmas 'round these parts, especially since they were used for a four bedroom three bath ,tri level house but need to get them down here anyway.




At least it will look a little bit more like Christmas here this year, albeit with temps in the low to mid eighties...and no chimney to hang those stockings from.






On the other end of the holiday spectrum, am freaking out about how much time I'm taking off from work.  Four days for Thanksgiving, three for Massey's graduation and three for Christmas. I'm making pretty good money now. Two years from now will be back to  making airport money. In five years will be putting half of every paycheck into savings. They are developing the entire area around our restaurant, already held the ground breaking  and will be one of the coolest hot spots in Orlando.

The only downside about being a  professional server is that if you don't work, you don't get paid.

No built up time off or unused vacation to cash in.

That's where a savings account comes into play.

When we moved here a little over a year ago, my savings were pretty hefty. It quickly went down the drain. I expected to be back at work in a few days. Instead I floundered for months before getting on my feet again.







                I spoke over the phone with my sister last night, and as usual she calmed my nerves.

Why fret over something before it happens? I'm just going to work the rest of my shifts this week, load up the car on Friday morning and go watch our daughter walk at graduation with her class in Georgia.

That's what the most important thing is right now.

We're having her graduation party at my sisters' after wards so was also kind of worried about what to have for the party. I'm not the type to invite people over and just set a bag of chips and some dip on a table. Neither is my sister.

I talked with Massey about it and suggested making a huge pot of chili with crackers and all the fixings...jalapeno peppers, shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped spring onions. Massey thought it was a good idea as well and my sister agreed.

True to fashion, my sister offered to make the chili as well as baking a Pig Licking cake...best cake ever and one of Massey's favorites.

I told my sister I'd supply all the beverages, paper goods and ice.


Bam! First problem solved.








                                           As far as Christmas goes...totally winging it.

Christmas has always been a big deal for us, as you can tell by the gigantic tree from our last year in Georgia.

We had mighty slim Christmas' for a number of years but always pulled the decorations out of the attic and made it look festive, even if we didn't feel festive.

Then while I had my amazing cash cow of a job at the airport, we went redunkulous. So grateful for all my brother and sister had done for us, I paid it forward.

I feel bad I couldn't do it last year and certainly can't this year, but you know what?


















































                   Love is truly the greatest gift of all and we are more than blessed this Christmas.





Not stressing anymore...about anything. Christmas will be fine, it'll be more than fine. It'll be great!



                          The best gift you could ever give, ask for or receive is the gift of love.




                                              Peace on earth and good will towards man.


                                                                     I know we can do it.

                                  Don't fret over little things...worry about the big things.


Till next time...COTTON




No comments: