Sunday, November 19, 2017

Thanks(for)giving



Last week I was leaving work after my shift when one of the servers told  me to wait, the closing server needed to talk to me. She went over and spoke with the closing server and came back over where I was clocking out and told me never mind...I could leave.

I kinda thought that was strange but let it go, and left. I thought about it on the drive home, wondering if maybe I hadn't done something they had asked me to do. I thought about it some more and decided I'd finished all my side work and cleaned my section.

Maybe it was a mix up...but made a mental note to ask that server what it was about next time I saw her.

A week went by before I worked with the server again and asked her what that had all been about?

Her answer:

"I can't tell you now."





That kinda made me nervous. I felt like they knew something about me that I didn't know and gave me a queasy feeling...like maybe I needed to start looking for another job.

Yeah, I'm a worrier.

Especially when it comes to my kids or my job.



Nothing else was said or happened so  decided I was once again simply worrying too much and let it pass.

Another week passed...and remained gainfully employed.

Just in case, I stepped up my game and tried even harder each and every shift...and I'm no slacker to begin with.

If you only knew how much I intensely hate starting over at a new job, you'd probably laugh at me.



I'd say I'm a pretty good wife. Maybe an eight out of ten.



 I'm not the best wife but have been completely and totally faithful to Tim for almost thirty years and in his defense, hasn't tried to kill me once. If you know me and know Tim...that's close to being an amazing feat in its self.




As a mother I'd say I was about a nine out of ten, through much trial and error. At least they are all doing pretty well as adults.


As a server would give myself a solid ten.







It's a profession which suits me to a Tee. I enjoy it, constantly try and grow as as a server, always striving to learn more and gain knowledge which helps not only my customers' experience but my paycheck as well.

It's a win-win job, if done right and feels very rewarding to be (for the most part) in control of what you make.


Anyway, back to my story...


So I go into work last night. I walked in the back of the kitchen and the locker area to store my trusty lunch box full of treats and goodies to share with everyone and a cook passed me, saying "Happy Birthday, Kelly!"

I didn't say anything, thought maybe I'd misunderstood him.

Another cook passed me as I walked out to the front of the restaurant and said the same thing.

What?!

I told him it wasn't my birthday...and that my birthday was in July.


Five minutes later the manager called all us servers to gather for the usual pre shift meeting.

As it started, the manager said another server had something to say first.

Another  server, who was hired right after me stepped forward and handed me a card with my name written on the front. She simply said "For all you do for us."

I opened it, pretty puzzled to begin with.

When I read it and saw the very generous gift card for Publix...I was stunned.






The cooks (who shouted out HBD) assumed they were giving me the gift card because it was my birthday.

The server who had asked me to stay around before leaving that night a couple of weeks ago thought they were giving it to me then.

Instead they continued to collect money from other employees for another week.

Trust me, I know how hard it is to get money out of other people when you're collecting for a cause.

Been there done that.



I couldn't believe it ... not only the servers, but food runners, bussers, hosts, bartenders, cooks and even utility workers had donated for this awesome gift for me!





You know, I've been a server a pretty long time.


    I've met and made a lot of good friends along the way. Bosses, customers and coworkers.


I moved to Orlando a little over a year ago, feeling like a frightened deer in headlights...for more months than I care to discuss.




Luckily I listened to my brother, who has lived here for quite a while. He gave me this advice:

                                             "Chroma is the place where you need to work."




It took me forever, but finally feel at home with my new job and think my new job feels at home with me.





I've come to love them, just like I loved my last restaurant family and the one before that, and the one before that.

What makes it even greater is they love me now too at Chroma.



It was a shocking wake up call and reminder to myself... it was one of those Oprah 'Aha' moments.



May sound crazy...but am anyway.


 What other woman in her late fifties wears a  dog's cone of shame and poses in their bed just to make herself laugh?

I had to beg Massey to take this picture of me. I thought it was hilarious...still do.

Her, not so much...but that's okay too. I'd probably be mortified as well to have me as a mother at the age of twenty two.


But here's the thing...



Life gives you one shot... no do overs. (unless you're Shirley MacLaine)


Make your shot count.





Do you want to put happiness out to the universe as your offering or unhappiness, envy and jealousy?

I'm a simple person with a simple plan in life.





Live by the Golden Rule and allow the Golden Rule to rule you.


The generous gift I received from  my coworkers surprised, shocked and humbled me.

I've always kinda been the 'restaurant mom' and enjoy the title very much. I do things for them because I want to, not because I have to. I always cook too much food anyway and they are always so excited when I bring in something to share.

The candy I bring in is nothing...what's two or three dollars every other day? It's sure not going to bankrupt me (been there done that) and know for a fact it's something they all look forward to.

If I had to stand hunched over in a hot, humid, wet, dish pit for eight plus hours and wash plates and silver which servers and bussers almost constantly sling at you, I'd want someone to bring me some candy every once in a while as well.




With all my many, many faults...still think I'm pretty much a decent person, striving to be a good person. on that scale would give myself about a seven out of ten.

On the scale of being a blessed person, I'd give myself a solid ten plus.







If you ever want to learn about how people truly are, try being in the service industry for almost forty years. I've met some doozies (customers and coworkers) over the years but more often than not have met some really wonderful people.

If I see a table that looks miserable from the time they walk to it and sit down, make it my own personal mission to make sure they all get up from that same table happy, and eager to return. It's actually a pretty satisfying feeling.

It's like I'm a psychologist without the degree...who also makes tips!





This Thanksgiving I have so very much to be grateful for, and my wonderful coworkers simply added to my ever growing list of blessings.

True fact.

Till next time, COTTON








No comments: