Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's the Little Things...Some Bug Me and Some Make my Day

I just finished an absolutely excruciating work week. Well not really, I still have to work a double on Friday, work Saturday and another double on Sunday but at least I have thirty six hours til I have to pull on tights, a skirt and put on make up again.

My oldest son has been  with us for the past week spending some time with his sibs before he leaves for Australia next  Tuesday. It has been so nice to have him around. Bless his heart he had to sleep somewhere different every  night. Sometimes Tim gets home from work  and crashes in the spare bedroom we call the "Black Out" room. He hates it when I have the TV on in our bedroom and I can't go to sleep without it on. It's Massey's old bedroom and has thick black curtains we put up when Tim was working the night shift and had to sleep all day. Massey  has taken over TJ's old room on the first floor. He's slept in the "Black Out" room and he's slept on  the sofa in  the living room. He never complained...God Bless  him!

I've been working at least nine shifts a week all the while wondering how others seem to get by on  four shifts?  Then again I have three kids, although TJ helped us out time and time again this past week. He bought pizzas for the kids when I was at work and even filled up Massey's car with gas yesterday. Having a responsible, "Paying  you back" kid is wonderful!  We spent plenty on him when he was a teen and it's nice when they remember that.

This was my life for ten days... Go  to work. Come home on break to discover Ziggy squeezed through yet another hole he made in the fence.  Take my work apron off and get my chicken wire, wire cutters and staple gun and head to the back fence.  We have so much chicken wire going across the hog wire fence it looks like we are trying to keep  the Taliban out of our yard.

I just don't understand this little idiot, Ziggy. He has it great here . He's quit pooping in the house but decided his mission is to spring out of the back door every time it's opened and run as fast as he can to  the back fence and escape as quick as possible. He then jumps over the creek which runs behind our house, rounds the bend and jumps back over the creek behind Mr. "Slow" Lee's house and sits by  the front door or garage door waiting to be let back in.

It wouldn't bother me so  but we have a lot of Coyotes behind our house and Ziggy would be a snack for them. Maybe  they would let him live if he licked their goobers like he licks Charlie's. We  call them Siegfried and Roy and both better be glad I am  Liberal because they even get on MY nerves!

Ham's doing great. He started his heart worm preventative last week and doesn't care to have his goober licked (he can do it himself). Even though he can't see...he CAN see  they are both idiots and tends to just hang out with me.

Massey is graduating this year..."YIKES"

She missed the trip to Hawaii with the band a couple of years ago  because we were broke. She missed the trip to New York last year with her chorus...same reason.

The chorus is going to New York again this year and I want my girl to go. It hasn't been easy but have managed to make every payment and only one of them bounced. (that's a win in my banking schematics) Made the last payment today and hope they noticed I post dated the check for Friday.

Here's the thing. Massey is spoiled and I know it.

Then again I look at many of  the girls she goes to school with.Some of them drive new cars, have every thing they could possibly want yet have lost their virginity and mind if you ask me. Good Lord, you got your whole life ahead of you, why rush it for a boy who won't matter in the grand scheme of life?

I was old school. I was a virgin til I was twenty and it was even a mistake then. I didn't even know what having sex was til I was thirteen and consider that a huge advantage.

My friend (Patti Raiford)  a couple of years older than me was walking to the pool with me one day when we noticed a scrawled painted message  in the under pass of a bridge right past the Dairy  Queen on the way to the public pool. It read "Tom made love to Mary here."

I asked my friend (I've written about this in a previous post) what making love was and when she told me I was furious.

I declared my Diddy  was a deacon and elder at our church and he would certainly NEVER do anything like that to my mother.

Sad truth...two weeks later my Momma sat me down and gave me the news. Patti was right.

At least now I knew why my parents locked their bedroom door twice a week.

So here I am. Fifty three years old. I work hard but what decent person doesn't?

When I want to feel like it is a lost cause, the reason for the cause comes back to me. When I feel like a failure as a parent, my oldest son helps us through a rough week.

My younger son cleans the house, feeds and bathes the pups.

Massey will step up, I have no doubt .

I am being totally honest when I say I am the luckiest woman on the face of the earth.

When you sign up to have kids...you sign up for life.My kids didn't know I'd be broke when they needed money and it is kinda embarrassing but my kids also know that WE will make it happen.

Massey will go off to New York. My oldest will travel to the land down under. Zach will keep on the straight and narrow.

I will wake up tomorrow and be grateful.

It's all  KARMA. I get as much as I give. What I put in I get out. What I do for others is what I should expect them to do for me.

No more no less.

I keep thinking I am  tired and over worked...but then realize I am one of the lucky ones... "For Real."

Till next time COTTON





No comments: