Sunday, January 27, 2013

Heaven Must Be Popping at the Seams

It's been a "Ruff" day around here. My sister's boxer (above) who happens to be my dog's father and sister to our beloved  Rosie, who we lost last year went to Heaven today. He's out of pain and I can just see him scrambling around the pearly gates with Rosie, Maggie and Bear. (the other boxers we have lost over the past few years)

Then I come home from work and find out dear friends of mine lost their Jack Russell today. They don't have children...wait a minute, yes they do. They had two Jack's for fifteen years and they ARE their children.

Bogie lost his fight today too. It's a sad day.

I have three kids who I love so much it makes my heart seem too tiny to handle all I feel for them. Add in my pups  and my heart is so full it should have popped years ago.

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.” 
― Mark Twain

My sister's dog has been declining rapidly. Just like I did with Rosie (his sister) she kept telling herself he was okay when in fact she was keeping him alive to just be able to have him.

Sometimes you  have to step back and say "Is this good for them or am I just making excuses so I don't  lose them?"

Well she lost her boy today and I can tell you she was pretty upset. My sister is a rock and seldom gets emotional  whereas I am an emotional wreck twenty four seven.

Us Leach kids love our boxers. Let's count them all. We had Sampson before I was born. Then we had Punch (I still  think that name rocks for a boxer) Then we had Smokey. Then we rescued a Scottie named Angus who was an escaper like Ziggy. My sister had Champ and  Spunky, then Maggie. Next came Rosie and Boss. Then Ham.

Long story short...we are dog lovers.  What's NOT to love about a dog?

They never ask for anything and are  grateful for everything. They make your day, they love you unconditionally and keep you warm on a cold night.

They lick your face and are thrilled when you pet them or simply say their name.

I have a life  which hangs on by a thread. Family, friends and pups  make it all worth while.

One year when we went on vacation after my momma died, Diddy  decided to stay home and watch Cindy's boxer, Maggie. Maggie was a good dog but was never leashed walked. My Diddy didn't know that and tried to take her on a walk one day. He called us that night in Florida and said "I tried to take Maggie on a walk today. I put a leash on her and she acted like she had lost her mind." We still laugh about that.
At least I hopefully have a few more years with my three idiots. Ham is just six, Charlie is five and Ziggy is not quite a year old.

I told my friends today who lost their beloved Jack Russell, The ONLY bad thing about having a dog is losing one.

It breaks my heart Sandy Par has lost her lifelong friend, Bogie. I know my friends are devastated but at least they understand why he is gone.

My sister lost another boxer a couple of years ago and Boss felt lost as well when his buddy, Bear was suddenly gone.

A good friend told me one time ..."There is a reason DOG is GOD spelled backwards." He was right.  Both are all accepting, forgiving and love unconditionally with no questions asked.

The above photo is Rosie who we lost over a year ago. Boss was her brother. Now we have Ham, who was Rosie's nephew. Charlie was TJ's to begin with and now ours by default. Ziggy's just our way of helping  the mentally challenged. It's like a canine soap opera around here! Let's just hope Ziggy's evil twin doesn't show up on our doorstep.

Dogs are great pets, companions and members of your family. They just don't live long enough, even when they live to be fifteen.

I'll still stick by "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

Heartfelt condolences to my sister, Del and Ellen for their horrible losses.

I bet my Momma and Diddy are up there walking them both around and maybe even letting them pee on the Pearly Gates!

Til next  time  Canine Loving COTTON







 

No comments: