Saturday, September 10, 2011

It Was a Good Day

 Got home from work Friday just before midnight and did laundry dishes and some light cleaning. Watched CNN til late thirty and fell asleep on the sofa.
Woke up at 8:30 and decided to roll over. Woke up again at 10:30 and by 11:30 left the house with Massey and her friend and headed to Lil' Five for the day. Massey and I have been there many times but it was her friend's first visit. It was a beautiful day to take the convertible and cruise beyond the small town atmosphere we live in and take a peek at the crazy eclectic world  called "Lil' Five."

Welcome to a different world!

Lil' 5 is like landing on another planet.  A planet where sexual orientation is a mere suggestion at best, a place where you feel odd if you don't have a TAT and a place where the homeless fit in more easily than we do. If I had to be homeless I would choose Lil' 5 too, which leads me to believe the homeless population in Lil' 5 is smarter than the homeless living under the bridge by Turner Field. Both lifestyles are harder than hard, but I'd choose Lil 5...it seems a lot friendlier.
Massey once made the comment when we were entering a certain store we frequent that we always saw the same couple sitting on the ground with their backs against the wall . I told Massey that was  their living room....and I meant it.

It's a world where everyone is equal and no ones judges. Maybe Lil' 5 has the answer to the big problems we have all been searching for.

No  finger pointing, no  accusations or condemnation...just acceptance and  willingness to  co exist and work towards a common goal...being positive, productive and moving on without bashing each other to death with narrow minded views of what life should  or should not be.

They make ME feel like the odd ball ! I told Massey's friend today when we were eating pizza in our favorite place "We're the ones that look like freaks here."

We were the  ones without tats , piercings or a box sitting out for donations between our legs while sitting by the curb.  No one looked away from us or  or accused me of  being a fifty one year old woman who has three kids and a house  but still  has a hair cut that screams Lesbian. (I like my hair short...so sue me) They don't judge me and I never judge them..I admire them . I didn't judge the six foot four transvestite in four inch heels with the shortest skirt I have ever seen but I did admire the amazing wax job.

We had a ball and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Actually I had so much fun I am taking a friend of mine from work to lunch and  Lil' 5 on Monday. She moved here from Alabama a few years back and has never been to Lil' 5 or The Varsity...THAT my friends will be corrected with a trip to the planet Lil'5 and a lube job at The Varsity .
"WHADDA YA HAVE?" (Only peeps from the ATL will get that but I bet if you google the phrase it will tell you.)

Call me a sap but I love living on the outskirts of Atlanta.  It is an amazing place to live and an amazing place to explore.

No comments: