Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's Hard to Keep Up When You're Old...But I Try!





Just got home from work and it was another good shift. Everyone drank wine and most all ordered appetizers and even a few desserts...that always helps my cause!

The last two shifts have helped me get back on track. In my world that means back in the black in my checking account. Red must be my favorite color because that's where I spend most of my time.

I was at the bar at work tonight and one of the regulars was talking about trying to access an  account he rarely used and said after answering his security question was told his answer was wrong. He said he tried again and the answer was wrong again.

You know me, I piped right in "I know what you mean, I logged into my checking account today and they told me my answer was wrong when I KNOW it was right. After two tries I logged out of FireFox and went back in on Internet Explorer and got right into my account with the same exact security question answer...I think someone was trying to hack me."

Never one to be ashamed of small steps forward I said "Hey... I have $1.41 in that account and don't think I'm not keeping a close eye on it!" He laughed,  thinking I was being funny when in fact I was sorta bragging. It's taken me over a week to get my balance up to $1.41 and I was feeling pretty good about it.

Small steps are better than NO steps and I'll take what I can get. It's getting better every day and before you know it, BLACK will be MY permanent status in the banking world. I know my bank will be pissed, I've probably built them two new branches with my NSF fees and should be thrown a party by the evil bankers that shove the big check through first so all the little ones bounce too.

On another note, the heat has been oppressive here in the south the past two days. Granted I am fifty one and break into a sweat at two in the morning while sleeping under a ceiling fan on high in a house that is air conditioned and has the thermostat set to seventy seven. Before I started having hot flashes the thermostat never went below seventy eight but "A menopausal woman's gotta do what a menopausal woman's gotta do!"

I  thought child birth was rough...that was a walk in the park on a nice breezy day compared to what my body is going through now. Thank God I'm still skinny...at least being in the red for two years is good for something. I couldn't imagine being a big girl going through the change...it must be absolutely horrible!

At work I wear long black pants and a three  quarter length shirt, covered by a work apron. I start sweating the moment I walk out of my house and don't stop til I get back home and peel off my pants socks and shoes and slide into my flip flops and daisy dukes with a tank top (my daily summer outfit.)

At work the other day I asked the owner why we couldn't wear skirts and he said we could. Dang...I must have missed THAT employee meeting!

 The next day Massey and I went to Ross Dress For Less, which she and I call Ross Mess For Less. It's a great place for bargain shopping but everything is mis- sized misplaced and it's like a hunt to find something without an OBVIOUS flaw but if you spend time you save a bundle and look pretty good unless you run into Paris Hilton on the street.

Massey found me a skirt for six bucks that was labeled a size five but fit my size zero body perfectly and was the exact  length of my work apron. "BAM!"

I am already tan enough from the hours I spend doing yard work to not have to wear hose but on the downside now I had to shave my legs. When I was younger I shaved my legs every day. Now I make myself feel better by thinking that the prickly hairs help keep my socks up...nobody likes having to hike their socks up every fifteen minutes and mine stayed up as long  I had them on, even if they were my husband's and way too big.

I walked into work with my skirt on and it was like an entirely new world. Of course I got a couple of stares from the kitchen help but I think they were just jealous. Where I stand in the kitchen is ninety degrees. The other side of the line where they cook is at least a hundred and twenty. Sucks for them... but it is incredibly cooler for me. I told the owner I felt so good I didn't think I needed ANY days off now...I could work seven days a week in this new outfit. If he could just lower the lights in the dining room where my varicose veins  didn't show so bad I might even make better tips!

In life you have to take the good with the bad. In life you have to make the best of the cards you are dealt. In life you have to go with the flow or be swept into the drain. In life you have to make lemonade with the lemons thrown your way and be grateful for the love you receive and  love  too often taken for granted.

One thing I HAVE learned is to  remember... ALWAYS remember your life is a heck of a lot better than millions and millions of other's.

Count your blessings, name them one by one and you will see what The Lord has done.

 He's done a bunch for me and I feel pretty good about the strides I am making as well.

Til next time...COTTON in a skirt!

No comments: