Friday, August 26, 2011

My 36 Hour Stay-cation...I Slept Like a Dog


I got home from work a couple of nights ago and just felt exhausted. I work too much, but when you are a server, if you don't work you  you don't get paid. It's not like a normal job where you have two days off a week and still bring home a full paycheck.

 It's the profession I have chosen ,  learned to live with and for the most part love.  My audience awaits me every time I clock in.  Who am I to deprive them of not only my pretty efficient skills as a server but even more amazing skills as an entertainer?

 On top of that I go home almost nightly and write about it for OTHER people to read who can't come to my  shows or witness my life and times (That I like to call  "Cotton-Palooza.")

I don't have two days off a week but I give myself two days off a year to completely and totally shut down. I just had my first one of the year and  already looking forward to the second.


I fell asleep on the sofa looking just like the above pup..."Pooped!"

 My hot flashes kicked up around two AM and I found myself glad I had filled the dog's water bowl in the kitchen before I conked out ...(Above photo) DANG, I gotta a LOT of wrinkles on my face!

I have two pups and they both love momma (that would be me...the one that feeds, bathes and gives them fresh water at least three times a day.)
I don't mind doing it because when I go into my bi- yearly funk, I needn't  worry about them...they "Funk" right along by momma!

I went to sleep at two in the morning with one at my feet and the other  on the floor by my head. It was like a symphony of snoring, we should have won a Tony.

My husband got up and took Massey to school at eight AM.
I got up and made a glass of Nestle Quik, let the dogs out for five minutes, let them back in and went straight back to bed with the dogs tromping beside me seemingly smiling like "Hey, we LIKE this idea!"
 I woke up once when my own snoring scared me and made Charlie the Bulldog start barking like he had heard something important and wanted everybody  to know he EARNED his keep! I slept like a dog til my hot flashes kicked in again. By then it was noon so I turned on the local news. After five minutes I felt like doing exercises so I rolled from my left side to my right side and watched the news from the reflection of the TV in my make up mirror.

It was all the same crap except  we had an earthquake I missed and a hurricane on the way. I muttered "Welcome to my world" and turned back over  (more exercising) and hit the off button on the remote.

The next thing  I knew it was time to pick up Massey from school. I wasn't through exercising so I rolled over again... hollered downstairs to Tim (who had one of his fancy smanschy paid days off) that if he would go pick Massey up I would actually get up and make some tuna salad...heck call me a Saint I even told him I would make the sandwiches.

 BINGO!!!  It worked like a charm, I only had to tell him twice it was time to leave to get her.

I started perkin' up after  the tuna sandwiches but it was short lived.

 I had another hot flash  so severe I wondered if perhaps I had a fever and crawled back into bed with my ceiling fan on high. Two hours later I had done a couple more of  the "Left side/  Right side" exercises and felt well enough to actually sit up.

HEAD RUSH!!!  Massey woke me from my coma and we went to store to buy dinner. It was already after seven so we decided on a pot of chili. Takes ten minutes to put together, another ten to simmer and then it's ready. I ate two bowls and headed to the couch. Cooking has never seemed so exhausting and I needed more of my "Left side/ Right side" exercises. Watched TV and fell asleep...once again.

I slept til noon today and woke up feeling like I had been on a cruise. I already have a tan so who am I to say I wasn't on a 36 hour cruise?

Sometimes you  have to de- compress. Sometimes you just have to let your body and mind rest. Sometimes you just have to let go and give not only your physical being but your emotional being a Stay-cation.




I woke up feeling and looking like my Boxer, "Ham."

Ready to face another day  knowing I have earned every wrinkle  I have, and  each one of them helps tell my story.

I may be wrinkled, I may have been at the bottom of the financial litter for a while...but I am a PROUD pup and  will always have my "Swagger."

Or as my husband says..."My PHD in BS."

Til next time...a "Refreshed COTTON."

No comments: