Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"It's Like Butta..."

I worked another double shift today. I opened the store and had a great lunch. I was the only server besides the bartender, Oopsy and  made more money than I did on the evening shift.

This morning I had a party of four older women. The fist two to arrive got there early and said they wanted a table instead of a booth because they didn't want to have to bother the others when they had to leave the table to use the restroom. (I hear ya!)

Taking their order is like listening to their life story. Some tables sit down and say "We'll have a Mozzarella Caprese as an appetizer."

These women sat and one said "You know, I usually always order the Brie...it's delicious but we've been looking at this mozzarella caprese and it looks like it might be fabulous, what do you think? The brie is divine and I sometimes get it as my entree but this caprese just looks so appetizing, what do you think?''

I told them it was an excellent choice and once they tossed the idea around between the two of them they settled on it. After serving it another Ya Ya arrived and they told her how good the caprese had been.."It was divine, to die for."

They had already been there for an hour and decided to move on with the meal. Two of them debated between the cream of crab soup and the tomato soup. I stood there for a good two minutes before they made up their minds. When you are in your eighties, thirty minutes is like a nano second. The Queen Bee said "Dear, can you clean off this clutter of dirty dishes" (two bread plates) and I said I would do that immediately.
They were all dressed and accessorized immaculately... from earrings down to their support hose and comfortable flats. When they go out for lunch they go all out. Big earrings (probably clip ons) necklaces and bracelets. They all have that little hook you hang on a table to keep your purse off the floor and most have a really nice cane hung on the back of their chair.

This was followed by a discussion of whether the other one would show up and should they wait for her. I cleared their "Clutter" and came back to hear the Queen Bee announce "We'll go ahead."

They ordered salads and once the order was put in the last Ya Ya arrived. They described the mozzarella caprese to her with vivid detail and said "It was to die for."

These women know they are getting near to the end of the party we call life, but they ain't going out sitting in a corner..."Nobody puts Baby in a corner" from Dirty Dancing came to my mind as I shuffled around their canes draped over the backs of their chairs and cleared more of the "Clutter."

Every thing was a discussion with this group. Every idea every decision and every order was tossed around the table and put up for debate.

I absolutely LOVE waiting on seniors...heck, I'm almost breathing down their necks! I felt like giving them my cell number to include me on their next excursion. "Just hit me up on your jitterbug...heck, we can all ride in my car and stick yawls handicap sticker on my windshield to get a good parking spot."

Once the soup went out it was another "That soup was like Heaven...I mean it...how do they make it so creamy and delectable?"
There's no "How's your plastic hip holdin' up Edna? That mole looks suspicious and who stepped on a duck or did one of us just fart?"

They are senior women but acting like sophomore women,  still going out to eat and meet once a month and not shy about taking all the time in the world to have a simple lunch ...milking it for all it's worth.
The first time I waited on them it started out strained but I won them over with my PHD in BS and by  the time they left  they loved me.

Now I wait on them every month  and love the heck out of them. I call them "Gettin' it Grannies."

I want to be old like that.

They stayed for three hours having soup and salad. They loved me fawning over them and to be honest I loved doing it.

In my opinion if you live to grow old, it must be in an upright and mobile position and you deserve all the respect you are due. I want to still have my mental faculties and have the option of bitching when I want to and everybody still smile at me.

 What they do behind my back won't matter unless I catch them doing it.

At least I already have my ears pierced and won't be wearing clip ons. The support hose sound wonderful..I already own two pair.



No comments: