Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Paying It Forward

I have had many knocks in my life over the past year. I have had even MORE blessings. Without God... family, friends and even strangers we wouldn't have survived. Let me share with you what it is to TRULY survive. A friend of mine that I have known as long as I can remember married another friend of mine from high school.

Lesson # 1 : Don't get married right out of high school, you are both still kids.

He went on to remarry and inherit step kids, much like myself.

I have had my step son far longer than I have any of my natural children (if you can call Zach natural in any sense of the word).



My friend's step son joined the Marines elite recon division. He was sent to Afghanistan .



When I was a kid, the Vietnam war was raging. I never knew anyone personally that lost their life. I had a POW bracelet that I wore and often wonder whatever happened to Lt. Duncan(the name on my bracelet).



Flash forward to this horrible war our brave men and women are fighting.



A family that I grew up with in East Point Christian Church lost their loved one when his Black Hawk helicopter went down. It was one of the most moving and heart wrenching services I ever attended.



Not even two years later a girl I worked with got the news that her brother had been killed in Afghanistan.



Once again the loss hit close to home. I took my younger two kids with me to watch the plane bring his body home to his loved ones. Thousands lined the streets to pay their respects to this young soldier as his procession went from the air field to the church. Another moment I will always remember.



In October my high school friend and his wife got the call every parent of an Armed Service member dreads.



Their son who was due home Christmas day had been hit by an IED. He lost both of his legs and one of his arms.



He is now in Walter Reed undergoing intense physical therapy after many surgeries, infections and phantom pains in his now lost legs.



His mother has been with him constantly. His brothers, relatives and girlfriend as well.



I follow his story through a couple of websites. Face book has a page for him and Caring Bridge has one as well.



His attitude has been absolutely astounding and totally inspiring. I know his mother must be as worn out as most of my dish rags but she is just happy to HAVE her son back.



Granted all of him didn't come back but the parts that matters did...his heart, soul and mind.



What I have been through this past year is a walk in the park with a little bird poop falling on my shoe compared to what this young man has been through.



This week his prosthetic legs came in and he stood for the first time since October. With every one watching he stood up ...no one holding him. He got a huge round of applause from every one in the room...and it was a BIG room.



I sat at my computer in my house with a husband at at a new job, two kids upstairs in their cozy bedrooms with my three pups at my feet. As I watched his video and cried tears of joy for this brave warrior who managed to make it home to his own loved ones I decided my first payment forward should be CPL. Todd Love.



I am writing my congressman and writing to an even higher power, Stephen Colbert.



I am sending Todd's story to John Stewart, Ellen Degeneres, and even Bill O'Rielly (I'm not a fan of his but hope he will become a fan of Todd's). I am writing the White House and sending his story to as many people in as many places of power and persuasion as I can think of.



Todd is from metro Atlanta but there has yet to be ONE story of him on the news channels.



My mission is to get his story out and have it heard.



He has survived but it is going to be a long and costly road to recovery.



It may sound stupid but I thought my blog was a good place to start.

To my amazement I have had over 11,650 hits on my blog.

I will make this my launching pad and make getting Todd's story out my first big "Pay it Forward".


Help me help this young man...how can you NOT ?
He once stood tall and proud as he stood by his parents in these pictures above.
He is still proud and has the greatest attitude I think I have ever seen. He will stand again one day. He will walk again one day.
I will help him THIS day and for many days to come.
This kid will go far. This kid gave two legs and an arm for our country. This kid needs to be recognized for the hero that he is.
To me, he is a kid (I am an old 50 year old bag of wind).
In reality he is a man among men. He is what makes our Nation strong and keeps our lives secure.
Please go to the website www.CaringBridge/toddlove/Welcome or on Facebook go to Prayers for Todd Love.
If that doesn't work you can go to my own Facebook page, Kelly Leach Cotton and pick up his link off my profile page.
I think this is a great way to start out my new year ...helping someone who has helped me without even knowing it.
We type every day on FB and skype and email and text. I blog every night and go to sleep in my own bed.
There are hundreds of thousands not only on the battlefields but in hospitals and re hab... some are homeless and many are in graves.
They are ALL on my mind, in my heart and in my thoughts.

The quote comes to mind "Brother can you spare a dime"?
I can't even spare a dime...but what I CAN do is ask every person that reads my blog or hears about my blog to help this young man.
Just go to his website and look at one of his videos and see the expression on his face.
This is one "Kick Ass" young man.
He has made me realize once again how easy I have it with my petty money problems.
My life is a breeze compared to his... yet he seems more upbeat than I have felt in over a year.
That's messed up and I have had to re check myself more than a couple of times.
So whadda say blog readers?
I say "Todd Todd Todd Todd" !!
I am excited to see what kind of response this blog gets.
I did it with Todd's Mom giving me the go ahead...I hope we don't let her (or Todd) down!




Til next time....COTTON

No comments: