Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr. " I Have a Dream..."



Most people that know me well, know I am somewhat of a Liberal.

There are many definitions for the word and I do not fit them all.

My best choice would be "Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of others; broadminded".

I also like: "Not limited to or by traditional, orthodox or authoritarian attitudes or dogmas; free from bigotry".

I love God...but am not limited to believe that He doesn't love us because of sexual orientation or the color of our skin.

Bigotry is a HUGE sore spot with me.

How can you hate a person because they were born with a different skin color?

Life is a crap shoot.

Any ONE of us could have been born White, Black, Asian, Muslim or Latino to name a few.

We could have been born to rich parents or a single parent, grown up in the ghetto or in a gated community.

You could have been born with a disability or a mental illness. You didn't CHOOSE...you just deal with the cards you are dealt.

It's what you DO choose to do with your life that ultimately makes the difference.

It takes all kinds to make up this world...and we all need to begin to pull together instead of all pull this world apart.

I BEG you to take 5 minutes out of your day, 5 minutes out of your life... to click on this video and watch and listen to one of the most inspiring and encouraging speeches I have ever heard.

I memorized and recited part of this wonderful and eloquent speech as my final exam in English my senior year in high school.

As I recited these words out loud to a classroom of a racially diverse group...that may have been when I decided to be a Liberal.

Til next time...hoping you still love me, COTTON

No comments: