Friday, May 7, 2010

A Feeling I'm Trying to Forget

That's right...I'm the one with the brown spots, I just have spiky hair instead of spiky horns! Enough said about my feelings from the ex job.
I am over my mourning period, moved on through the denial stage and plowed my way through the anger portion of my healing.
It's true what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks. Yes I am an "old bitch" (pun for my dogs intended) and it is hard to break from habits formed over an almost 13 year period.
When I worked for Longhorn...the first thing you said to every table was "Have you eaten at Longhorn before"?
My new restaurant doesn't demand that of us (asking if you have eaten at Mama Lucia's...they like it but you won't get fired for not asking) but being an ole fart the words just WANT to come out of my mouth. I was working lunch today when I noticed an older couple that looked SO familiar to me. I went to their table and said just that. The woman said "Yes, you have waited on us for years, I believe we were sitting at THAT table over there last time."
So her memory is kind of give and take...she knew she knew me but couldn't differentiate the two stores. I told her I had only been there a month when her husband said "I know! Longhorn."
Bing bing bing...give that man a mark in the "I'm right" column. God knows men need that mark because when you are with a woman you are rarely if ever right!
My next table was a younger couple that I recognized from my old store...not by name but by face. As I greeted them the words just popped out of my mouth with no way to stop them..."Have you eaten at Longhorn before?"
The woman looked at the man...they both looked at me and finally the woman said "Well, uhmm...Yes we have."
Quick like a fox (an OLD fox) I said "Well we are certainly glad you're not there today! Let me tell you about our lunch specials..."
Dang! That was a MAJOR goof. When I came back to the table with their drinks they were both grinning. I was busted!
We all had a good laugh about it and I told them it was just a reflex response that I was currently in therapy for. (This is where my PHD in BS comes in handy.) I also told them I was banned from answering the phone at work until I got the 'all clear' from my therapist.
Am I an idiot or WHAT?
I started to tell my sister this story tonight and she stopped me..."You told me about that."
I had to tell the truth...no this is ANOTHER time.
The other night I waited on a young girl and her mother...knew they looked familiar, knew it was from Longhorn and as the words came out before I could stop them said "Have you eaten at Long..Lucia's before?"
Dang it! I thought I flubbed it over well but when I came back with their appetizer the mother said "Didn't you used to work at Longhorn"? I said "What makes you ask"? (Pretty quick on my part...I THOUGHT!)
Face it...when you have been a professional server for over 32 years on the same side of town...it all fades together for the customer. I have GOT to get a new hair cut...it is more my trademark than any service I give and is a dead give away.
The owners just laugh at me, support and encourage me...something I haven't felt for years.
I am happy again, I feel wanted and accepted... think I am doing a pretty good job, considering I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks and once again feeling like a human being that is where she needs to be.
JUST DON'T LET ME ANSWER THE PHONE !!
Happy Mother's Day to all of you muthas ( I still have two teens I am TRYING to keep up with) and enjoy your day on Sunday. I will be at work from open til close and can think of no better gift this Mother's Day!
Til next time...."Bitch learnin' new trix" AKA... COTTON

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

HAHA Nice blog actually. Made me smile and laugh. Nice to see such a nice, honest blog ^_^

-Dakota

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

Thanks...all my posts are written from the heart and waiting to be heard...glad you heard it!