Monday, January 12, 2009

Ole Folks...Ya Gotta Love'em !!

I went to my sister's house today for lunch. YUM YUM...gettum some! The lunch was great and she even offered to give me a Lenten rose to take home and plant.

She dug it up out of her side yard and told me to go home and replant and surround it with pine straw.

Went to the grocery store first and once home, brought in my groceries first.

My neighbor across the drive is an elderly retired gentleman who lives with his wife...and seems to watch our every move in and out of the house, while leaning across the back of the bed of his truck smoking a seemingly endless cigarette and staring at our house...waiting for movement. (I will have to admit, we do a LOT of moving and shaking over here in our "CASA").

So anyway...I finally got the Lenten rose plant out of the back of my car and sat it on the ground next to the car.

My "OLE" always watching neighbor...spat out.."I hope you are taking that plant inside tonight".

I said that actually I was fixing (a BIG southern word) to dig a hole and plant it right into my front yard.

He came right back at me like a swift volley...

"You know it's gonna be 17 degrees tonight".
I told him that the plant had just come straight out of my sister's yard and it seemed to be doing okay.

With a doubtful shrug of his shoulders, he shook his head like "Okay, idiot...go ahead and plant it".

When I got home from my sister's house I called to tell her my little story...and as usual, she had one ready to beat it!

After I left, her door bell rang.

She answered it, into the face of a happy and pleasant older woman who seemed flustered.

She told my sister that she was just SO SO lost and could my sister possibly help her.

My sister told her that she had only recently moved into Senoia, and hoped that she could help her.

They went into the house, the woman was looking for Lawshe road.

My sister couldn't find it in the phone book map and told the woman she could google the street.

They struck up a conversation and the older woman told my sister that in fact she too had just moved to the south side of Atlanta and really liked it.

My sister found the directions for this woman on line and went to send her on her way, my sister said, "Well you know where I live now...so come visit anytime"

The woman said to come visit her as well.

My sister responded...WHERE?...where do you live?

The older woman said "Right off of Lawshe Rd".

We thought she needed directions to a new friend's house...She needed directions HOME!!!

At least she stopped and asked, and at least she knocked on a really nice person's door.

This will be me in such a few short years. Thank goodness I have three children.

One of them will get the short straw...but the one that gets the short straw will take care of me, and be in charge the rotation of my care between siblings.

I hope they all remember what a good and "suck up" mom I am now.

If it makes my kids feel ANY better...


I WILL have a "DNR".

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: