Wednesday, June 18, 2008

GOOD NIGHT, "IRENE"

My friend will know who I am talking about if she reads this post. I was thrilled to hear that she has read part of my blog. I have known this woman since as long as I can remember. She was the first person to EVER get me on a roller coaster (the "Star Liner") at the Miracle Strip In Panama City. It was the most exhilarating and terrifying moment in my ten year old life... and believe me...it set me hooked to roller coasters forever and hooked to the fact that I could NOT trust "Irene" when she said "Everything will be just fine." I had never been as scared as I was when that rickety ole coaster climbed that first hill. That "clack, clack ,clack ,clack, clack,clack ,clack" of that fifty year old wooden cart cranking up a seemingly 90 degree angle...only to send us all flying to our immediate death. But the ride ended...and I actually LIVED to tell the story. It was a night that is embellished in my memory...the night that "Coasters" replaced "SKEE-BALL" in my world of fun. I felt like I had become an adult. Granted, you didn't have fifty "Skee" Ball tickets that you could turn in for "MINI" dice or a deck of "mini" cards to play hearts with...but the excitement that I felt that night is still a very vivid and profound memory in my mind.

Being a kid is such a tremendous and happy memory for me. I know that it is not for many...and that breaks my heart and certainly puts a damper on my day.

My advice to every person on this Earth is to make a difference...if not in your own life...most definitely in someone's that deserve or really need it.

Our kids are the future...we can help the world by showing, helping or teaching...or sit idly by, wondering why our society is in such a mess.

A roller coaster ride may seem insignificant... but I was a blessed child and it still stands out as a highlight of my youth. SO many are not blessed.

What does it take to make a difference? In my opinion...NOT very much.

ACCOUNTABILITY... that is the key to a successful and prosperous future.

When everything else is tallied, when everything else comes to pass...Will you be able to say that you feel like you have been accountable for not only your actions...but your reactions?

It is a big question...but one that we ALL need to think about.

The world today greatly worries me. Are there enough of us caring? Are there enough of us to make a difference?

I truly believe that we WILL succeed... and if we begin to all pitch in, all give a little...we will reap "REWARDS UNTOLD".

And wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

Till next time....COTTON

No comments: