Wednesday, September 14, 2011

If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It...


Jeez...I need some major fixing because I am so broke I can't even pay attention. Had a couple of flush weeks at work and made some major head way and then...it stopped just as suddenly. That's the downside of being a server...you are at the will of the public sector.

 WILL  they go out to eat tonight...or WILL they stay at home? They've been staying at home for two days and it is killing me. What's worse is my last day off was August 29 and I seem to be fading. ( at least my feet are back are) I could take a day off...heck I could take two or three but what am I gonna do, sit at home and think about how broke I am? I'd rather just keep on keeping on until the tide changes and things swing back in my favor. Until  then I scheme and plan, skirt and kite and borrow from Peter to pay Paul. Verizon, our choice of rip off cell phone companies (They are all robbing us blind in my opinion) called the other day to tell me I was past due so I went across the street between slow shifts to plug a twenty in the automated pay machine. It took my money and I went back to work.

This morning Massey told me before she went to school that the cell phones were cut off. I mentally thought "The bastards" but know I had grown up without a cell phone and lived to be fifty one. What am I gonna do...have electricity, gas and running water or cell phones?

I voted for the utilities and still stand by my decision. We had a slow lunch today when I needed a busy one...go figure! I went back to the automated machine between my double shift and shoved in the few dollars I made at lunch and prayed for a miracle. Got home and  noticed I had cell service again and since no one was at home but me said "selfish bastards" out loud and got back in my car to go pick up Massey from school. My  low fuel light was on...when it rains it pours. I went back in the house and grabbed my baggie full of coins out of the junk drawer in the kitchen and headed to the school. After picking up the girl I managed to put ten bucks worth of gas in the car. Years ago it would have given me almost a full tank and since Massey was with me mentally said to myself (freakin' oil bastards.)

We got home and I had forty five minutes before I had to be back at work. I collapsed onto my bed, on my back so I wouldn't mess up my make up and semi watched the four o'clock news and semi snoozed. Feeling refreshed (not) I  got up thirty minutes later, brushed my teeth and swiped on some more eyeshadow to make me look more perky.

Being a server is my profession of thirty four years and for some crazy reason it just suits me. The only bad thing is that it is a constant gamble and you just pray  the odds and your ability make it all work out in your favor. It's crazy...when I am not in a pinch the public seems to throw money at me, when I am desperate it's like the oil companies and cell phone providers take over and will my good favor away. (the bastards)

I was supposed to be the first server to leave since I worked a double but mooched and cajoled myself into closing the store. I didn't make much but made more than all the servers that left early. I went to drop my last check and said to my manager "If this last table leaves me a fifty dollar tip on their sixty dollar tab, I'll be sitting pretty!"

He laughed and you know what?...so did I.

 I can't make it be busy, but it usually is. I can't always depend on walking out with Franklin but I want to. I also know that I have been a server long enough to realize that when you think you are at the bottom the next shift kicks you back up to the surface and lets you not only breathe but remind you why you take the gamble. At least I have a job where I can work as many days in a row as I want for as long as I want until I reach the goal I am currently aiming for. Then when I reach that goal I can take as many days off as I can afford to.  Sounds crazy but it's the type of job I love and am good at.

 The downside is that I am getting older quicker than I am getting richer but also realize there are millions and millions of people who would love to be in my old worn out shoes and be grateful to have our worn out roof over their worn down bodies.

When I look back to where we were two years ago and look at where we are now...I know our future will be so bright we'll have to wear shades!

 You have to perservere you have to have faith and you have to constantly pay it forward.

My last table left tonight and my manager said  "You should have told them you were working two shows tomorrow." (Another double shift)

I am a lucky woman, I am a tired woman but every day I wake up on this side of the dirt is a good one.

 I am a Cotton  and I am a Leach and every one knows a Leach sticks like glue.

Thursday makes twenty four years I have been with Tim. He has stayed with me and stood by my side through the good times and the bad. He must have some Leach in him too!

Getting up and doing it again tomorrow..."The Good Lord willing" (as my Mema used to say)

Til next time...COTTON/LEACH

No comments: