Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Unbroken Circles

When my sister was going to Georgia Southern in the early seventies, I visited her several different times. Sometimes with my parents and sometimes on my own, staying with her. I met or got to know pretty much every single friend and sorority sister of hers.
#DeltaZeta


Crazy as it sounds, over forty years later, I still keep in contact with a few of them.

Case in point the lovely woman (above) to the left of me.

Social media, for all its stupidity and derisiveness, is still a good tool to keep in touch with friends.

She sent me a text message the other day saying she and her husband(who live in south Georgia) were going to be in Orlando on Sunday and wanted to stop by.

"Come on!"


My daughter and I were sitting out on the back porch waiting for them to arrive and Massey asked me when I had last seen her?

The last time was probably my sisters' wedding, around 1974 or 1975.

The rest has been all cyber.

I was looking back at the text she had sent and commented to my daughter:

The last text she sent me before this one, was sent in March of 2010, right after I lost my job at LongHorn, when Tim had already lost his. You know what she wrote to me?  (I said as I scrolled back)

She had written:

"Hey, Kelly! Not
sure if you
remember me-I
was a DZ with Cindy. Haven't
talked to you in
years but will be
praying for God to
turn your bad
situation into
something
wonderful. Take
care and God
Bless!
Dedra"


After that she continued to follow our journey, trials, tribulations and eventual triumph, through my blog and social media.

And here we were, together again as Tim and I add yet another chapter to our life and doing better than ever.

She loved me when I was a kid, prayed for me when I needed it as a middle aged wife and mother who was out of work, and more importantly took time out of her own life to come see and visit our wonderful twist of  fate after a decade of struggling.

How awesome is that?


After showing them our humble but funky and eclectic new/old home, we walked across the street and took a sunset boat ride with my brother.






When they had first pulled into our driveway and she got out of her car, the years simply fell away.

I kid you not, she looked exactly the same, and the bond of friendship was immediate.

It was a wonderful time, and such a thoughtful gesture on her part.

She brought us a great house warming basket, filled with homemade sourdough bread (my absolute favorite) little Claxton Fruit Cake snacks  (#ClaxtonGirl) and a great Welcome Sign for our new/old house.










We had a blast chatting away with Massey on the boat ride.


She taught us the secret to taking a decent Selfie, and answered all our "Old Lady" questions without making us feel stupid.



She's a pretty good young'un.



Both us Oldies were on the same page about how hard it was to hold your cell phone steady while taking a Selfie, and  pushing the button...with just one hand.

She commented she sometimes held the phone and her husband pushed the button, when taking a pic of them both.

#BeenThereDoneThat






Massey even brought up my stressing about whether its 'left click' or 'right click' when viewing or signing documents or applications on line.

She has assured me time and time, and time again, that is is always left click... but I still beg to differ.


Then why does the mouse have a right click option?






Also, the hamster upstairs may be running a little slower in that wheel now, but at least he's still moving.

Pretty soon I'm gonna need a mouse up there instead.
They're bigger.

That's gotta help.





Til next time,
COTTON





No comments: