Sunday, January 7, 2018

OUCH!!

I was at work the other day and two different coworkers commented on how good my hair looked. Any woman will tell you, it's awesome to have a good hair day. Then another server also reminded me what I have always said about having a short haircut...

"When your hair looks its best, it's time to get it cut again, soon!"

Unfortunately I was in the midst of an exhausting work week and kept putting off getting 'muh hurr did' and true to my own words, woke up for work the very next day and couldn't get my hair to do right to save my life.

When my hair begins to grow out, the top of the back of my hair makes me resemble a lowland gorilla and is too top heavy to spike up like I usually wear it.

So for five more days I worked having a bad hair day, every day and not one single person told me my hair looked good.

When you are already by far the oldest person at work...that doesn't help your ego much.

I was finally off today, day one of a three day staycation from work and had a haircut on the top of my 'ToDo' list.

I'm a low maintenance kind of gal. I never pay more than $13.99 for a haircut and as a server always tip them six bucks. You can't beat getting your hurr did, plus tip, for less than twenty buckaroos!

Of course when you have short hair, have to make sure they know what they are doing and know what you want.  I like a razor cut. It looks better and for some weird reason love the way it feels when they drag the razor through my hair.

If they don't know what they are doing, what are you gonna do, shave your head and start over? When your hair is an inch long it doesn't leave room for do overs.

I checked in online and didn't have to wait when I got there. I didn't recognize any of the women working but took my chances, just saying I wanted someone who knew how to do a razor cut.

She did a great job and listened to me when I told her how I usually wore my hair when it wasn't Silver back gorilla length.





I bought a can of the designing taffy to mail back home to a high school friend who recently cut her own hair short like mine. I had bought her a can before Christmas but never mailed it;  my own ran out and started using the one I'd bought for her.

I got back to my car and looked at my receipt before starting the car

It was a defining moment in my not so young life and kind of made my heart sink.



What?!!

I was thinking; would have preferred to pay the $14.99 and leave without them all talking how good an old lady tips.

Adding insult to injury, after counting my change before putting it away in the car, had also been shorted ten bucks.

Already humiliated, I sat in my car for a good five minutes debating whether or not to go back.

Number one, I gotta start wearing makeup when off work and leave the house to go out.

Number two, ten bucks is a lot of money.

Number three, guess I gotta face facts...I'm closer to being sixty than from.





They were very nice and gave me the ten bucks back when I made myself go back, which 'twernt' an easy thing to do, especially without my walker...(shoot me now).


Getting older comes with a lot of new discoveries, not all good. I get hot flashes which could boil a pot of water in five seconds. I put on makeup for every work day, having to use a magnifying mirror and every month or so discover a random single hair sprouting from my chin or upper lip, and pluck it hoping no one else noticed it first. I have more wrinkles than freckles on my face now. I don't know any of the songs which play on the sound system at work but after hearing the same ones for over a year now, do...and not really a big fan.

I've been lucky in more ways than one, or two.

I worked in my kids' elementary school for seven years when they attended there, kinda keeping me in the loop with tweens. I've been a server for almost forty years, and for the past two or three decades have always worked with people at least half my age, dragging me into the future along with them.

Getting older isn't pretty sometimes, but sure beats the alternative.

Trust me.

Till next time, Granny Cotton






No comments: