Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth!!

My last day off was June 21 so today gave me even more reason to celebrate! I celebrated by staying on the couch til after one PM watching CNN and chatting with Massey. She finally hauled my carcass up and we went to the store for brats and all the fixings. By the time we left the store it was storming...that only meant one thing to me, time for another siesta on the couch. By five o'clock I felt sufficiently rested and decided to shuck a few ears of corn to go with the baked beans Massey had made and the brats Tim was grilling when he got home from work.

Shucking corn is exhausting work, especially when you have to sit up to do it. I somehow struggled through and crashed back onto the couch to recuperate from my shucking. Tim got home around 6:30 and fired up the grill and I opened a beer. NOW it was a holiday!

I tend to push myself to limits that Wonder Woman would shake her head at and then crash like the Hindenburg. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it is just the way I am geared..."All or nothing."

Day after tomorrow is my middle child's birthday. He will turn nineteen going on twelve making me feel  sixty five. At least we are both still breathing and he still tells me he loves me.

Raising kids is the hardest job I've ever had. Sometimes it is a cake walk and sometimes it is a pile of steaming dog do that only a mom can clean up. Dad will take the bag out to the can but the stinky part falls into my hands...no wonder I have such rough looking hands.

I was no angel as a teen and have kept that in mind. My parents would wear me out with a belt, I tend to wear my kids out with my sharp tongue and sarcastic but even sharper wit (two of my better qualities as a parent.)

I am happy to be off on the Fourth. I am happy to be alive. I am happy to have teens and young adult children. They are happy they were born in a country that frowns on parents beating the crap out of them when they do stupid stuff.

You take the good with the bad. I am married to a wonderful man that somehow loves me. Being married to me is like being married to a ninety nine pound Roseanne Barr when she first began her TV career. We drive each other nuts because we are so polar opposite but both realize each of us signed up for the long road trip of marriage and parenthood over two decades ago  and have settled into our perspective seats, turning the mental radio up when you want to drown the other out to catch  a short rest. You married them because they were sexy and cute to you but after  years start to blur together and life throws  a few curves you tend to sometimes forget. But wonder if you split up and they meet someone else, started acting all "Perfecty" and ended up married to THEM?  I say hang in there and take your chances, trust the instincts you felt decades ago and know that when you finally grow old together it may just be the best part! (Will someone copy and paste this last paragraph and email it to my spouse?) 

 Dang...that ought to be the definition of parenthood in the dictionary!

Glad to be an American this Fourth...great feeling. With all our problems and infighting it is still hands down the absolute best country in the world. Glad to have a God that loves me even with all my faults. Glad to have a husband that is still hanging in there after over twenty years with the lunatic I call "COTTON." Glad to have three kids that have brought me more joy than I could have ever imagined and enough drama and sporadic emotional trauma to have paid back how bad I was as a teen ten times over. Guess we'll call that parental inflation! Glad to have a job I love and that for some bizarre reason loves me right back. Mostly after God loving me...I am grateful that I have a family that loves me. I mean they love "ME."

I've never been the greatest daughter, sister, aunt , cousin , co worker, friend or even adversary but I think I have given it a pretty decent shot after a few youthful fumbles and a few late life hot flashes.

Hoping my writing will one day soon pay off and I can buy them all the mansions they deserve!

Then I could still act like Roseanne and they'd have to act like they still liked me...I gotta get busy with this publishing thing...it may be my way back into the will!

Have a happy Fourth.
I live in a great country.

I have a family that loves me unconditionally  and literally tens of thousands of men and women protecting my freedom, something we all too often take way  too lightly.

YEP...I'll call it a good day!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: