Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday, Zachary !!

In less than an hour my middle child turns nineteen. At times this past year I wasn't too sure about either of us living to see this day...I thought I may have to kill him or he may kill me. I am totally kidding about me killing him and half way kidding about him killing me. By far my brightest kid, a fact he has hated hearing me say since he was in second grade.

 He can out think , debate and pummel you with facts (environmental, financial, historical, social and political)   you never knew about but always wanted to and leave you wondering why we can't have a guy like HIM in the White House ? I mean this in all seriousness.

He floundered about this past year...having to make up credits to graduate on time, having a couple of scrapes that seriously worried me... and learning some valuable lessons from not using the spectacular brain God gave him.

I can sit and talk/debate with him for hours...many people have.  He knows a tremendous amount about so many things and something about everything. He can tell you how to solve poverty and how we are doing it wrong. He can tell you what is wrong with government and his ideas on fixing it. They make more sense to me than anything I have heard discussed and tossed about by  current politicians or potential candidates. He has a genuine appreciation for the environment and can fascinate you with facts and stats that make you feel ashamed for not doing more.

His incredible vast  knowledge continually amazes me...his lack of using it wisely, amazes me even more.
He's made some mistakes...what kid hasn't?

He has a sense of humor exactly like mine... except he sounds a lot smarter with his zingers, backing them up with facts when I back mine up with "That's right!"

 It's one of the reasons we butt heads...the kid is just like me but really smart.

He has more potential than any young person I have ever met, and my other two kids are FAR from being slouches. I am a proud momma, I am a tired momma, I am an old momma but I am a happy momma.

He is turning nineteen. That's thirteen in male years...fifty four in dog years and a long stinkin' road in momma years.

I have tremendous faith in Zach,  and  confidence that he will do something great , explosive and meaningful with his life.

Happy Birthday buddy!!
May you always remember the lessons and morals we taught you and may you succeed beyond your (my) wildest dreams!!

I still remember  he was the only kid in kindergarten who wrote such an eloquent "My Gift to the World" letter at Christmas.  He was five years old.

                My Gift to the World
If I could give the world any present this is what I would give.
I would give money to the poor.
I would give homes to the poor.
I would give clothing to the poor.
I would give caring to the Taliban.
That is what I would give the world."
                      Zach Cotton

"Out of the mouths of babes" comes to mind.

 By the tender age of five he knew we needed to not only take care of our fellow man but hope that our enemies realize the far reaching impact of terrorist retaliation.

I am proud of all my kids. I am proud of the people they have become. I am proud they have sometimes stumbled but not been too proud to ask for help.

I am proud they have appreciated my help and  proud that they have learned from their mistakes...as I have.

Two kids down...one to go.

I better have the coolest room at the retirement home. I have at LEAST earned a "Rascal" or "Hoveround" a "Jitter Bug" phone and a walk in bath tub! Think of it this way...I got three kids,  the bill can be split three ways . I'll tell them to just take Tim to a golf course, sit him on a bench and tell him  "Teeing off in a few minutes, we'll come getcha!"

Til next time...COTTON

             

No comments: