Friday, November 19, 2010

I Finally Struck Oil...Never Thought It Would Be Bad

I struck oil.
 Only bad thing is  it is the oil that was leaking out of my car.

I have been having car issues for a while now. My car was hesitating to start a couple of weeks ago and when I checked the oil...it was sizzling on the bottom of the stick. I dumped in three quarts and discovered my battery was going bad.

My brother in law bought me a re conditioned battery and the car started again. Only problem was when Massey and I were coming home from the store the "STOP" light came on and told me to cut engine off immediately. It's a freaky kind of message to get from a car and I had no choice but to keep driving...I mean , we HAD to get home. It was getting dark and beginning to rain, not to mention we had groceries in the back seat.

I parked it in the garage and hoped that after a good night's rest the car would feel better.

It didn't.

I knew that I was well overdue for an oil change. The last time I had my oil changed was when my 18 year old son changed it with help from the neighbor's son.

NEVER send a Man/Child to do a job that a woman can do with only spending 30 bucks and knowing it is done right even if it is by an idiot at the Quik Lube place. At least then I could blame THEM.

I got my nephew who is in his mid twenties to change my oil yesterday. The oil filter my son put on my car WAS for VW. Yes I drive a Passat, but the filter was for a VW truck. I don't even think they MAKE those anymore. It was the size of a coke can. The filter it required was the size of a large can of tomatoes (Yes I am a woman and this was my gauge for the size of the filter.)

My garage floor is covered with oil from the change. I have been dumping in oil to keep the car running...probably added too much and am just lucky that the car is still running at all.

I have LOTS of luck..it's just all BAD.

By the grace of God the car is still somehow running. It's running rough and I am sure there is some damage...but at least it is running.

My life has been a comedy of errors (that's the way I make myself think positively about it.)

I want to complain, I want to cry and I want to feel sorry for myself.

Then I think about my friend's son who is now a triple amputee at the age of 22 from stepping on an IED in Afghanistan. I think about the Chilean miners..almost 70 days almost a mile under the surface of the earth. I think about the young girl suffering from cancer that wore not only a hearing aide but a prosthetic leg and was discovered bit by bit with no help from the people entrusted with her care and well being. These are things for me to be worried about.

An oil leak and possible engine damage to my car ... I almost feel embarrassed to complain.

My life seems grim almost every day. But when I put it all into perspective and take in the big picture, I feel like the guy lying on the couch in the insurance commercial, just waiting for the drill Sargent to throw the box of tissues at me.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even deserve tissues.

I have started to feel "Mamy Pamy" again when I should just feel grateful that I am ALIVE.

Life knocks you down...again and again.

You can  give up or you can go on.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: